Adding tritium vials to a flashlight?

bimemrboy318

Enlightened
How are you guys attatching the tritium vials to your lights? Epoxy? Which one? Can I just surface mount it or are you guys cutting into the light itself for a flush mount. Also, where can I get a couple tritium pieces?

lukus

Enlightened
I just put some in a SS bezel from PEU. I was going to use a clear, two-part epoxy but then I found a UV curing glass adhesive at Home Depot. Made by Superglue and on a black and red card. That stuff worked great, but it was thin and runny. Have to have the trit in a slot for that stuff. Being thin was actually a plus for me. I put a drop on a piece of glossy paper and then used a toothpick to put in small amounts. Just touched the toothpick to the side of the slot and it would capillary action in, leaving no bubbles and self leveling out to a clean smooth surface. Hit it with the UV LED light and voila! Having it smooth and level to the surface means it won't clog with lint and be easy to clean.

I guess you could surface mount the trit. I'd use a two-part clear epoxy. Thing is it would try to run flat before it would cure, so you might have to let it start to stiffen before putting it on the light. I would think you would want to have a "bubble" of clear epoxy with the trit in it for protection. Another idea would be to find something with a negative bubble shape for a mold (cutting the tip off a sharpie pen cap for example), wipe inside with car wax so it will release, and then pouring in a little epoxy and putting the trit in it. After it cures you would have a hardened bubble that you could then epoxy on the flashlight. Smaller and closest to the size of the trit vial would be best for light transmission. Also, the quick set epoxies are usually not good in moisture, i.e., sweaty pocket - they tend to get a little gummy and soften some. Use the long curing stuff.

Crash

Enlightened
half New Orleans, half Baton Rouge, Louisiana
I tried epoxy but found out that it does not adhere reliably to Type III HA Natural finish. After a couple of vials broke because they were not fully encapsulated, I took a new approach.

Being more interested in functionality than cosmetics, I glued a couple of tritium vials onto an HDS EDC Ultimate 60 by just squeezing a couple of "blobs" of GOOP onto the knurling on the side of the light. The GOOP dries clear and by having "blobs" of it on the side of the light, they keep it from rolling and provide more of a cushion to the tritium than epoxy which dries hard.

Latest posts