Sharpie marker removal?

Wireman

Newly Enlightened
Out of all the forums I'm a member of, I figure you guys are the smartest so I'll ask this here.

I have a GPS unit (Garmin Quest) at the top of the windshield of my truck. You could see it from outside so to hide it I colored the built-in antenna black with a Sharpie brand marker, it worked well.

Now I would like to sell the unit, but the marker isn't the prettiest thing in the world so I figure I'll try to remove it.

So... is there a way to remove sharpie marker from plastic without damaging the plastic? I'm worried that something like "Goof Off" with eat into the plastic.

Thanks!

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rubbing alcohol and some effort will remove the ink and should leave the plastic alone. Carb cleaner will definitely remove the ink, but I wouldn't use it on plastic.

:buddies:

P.S. Insert standard disclaimer here.

Wireman

Newly Enlightened
I tried rubbing alcohol, but it involved way too much rubbing. I tried some Goof Off on the little edge just to see how it would work, it took it all right off. Everything's good, thanks guys!

mchlwise said:
:ohgeez:

Alcohol (for rubbing, not for drinking) is your friend.
BLASPHEMY! Drinking alcohol is my friend too!! :p

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
BTW 90% alcohol works a lot better than 70% "rubbing" alcohol. The additional stuff in the 70% variety dilutes it's cleaning ability.

Glad to hear you got it off!

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use nail polish remover (not mine), works a treat on CD's & DVD's.

Some makes work, some don't

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Nail polish remover is diluted acetone with some oils and fragrance. Be careful with those CDs! It's a strong solvent so I'm sure that it turns that ink into butter but you might be right at the threshold of dissolving the disc's substrate and/or coatings.

Fenris

Enlightened
X2 on the lighter fliud.
I accidentally put a mark on my monitor and with a little lighter fluid it came off completely.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
acetone will melt a lot of plastics.

rubbing alcohol is about the safest, but it can take some lables/writting that is printed on plastic off.

The longer the marker dried the more soaknig/rubbing with isopropyl you'll have to do.

Knight Lights

Enlightened
Actually, if you can find acetone nail polish remover, let me know.

I can't find it anymore. All of the ones I can find say "acetone free"!