My new favorite Surefire!

TheSteve

Newly Enlightened
The U2 has always been my favorite Surefire light and it will continue to be the light I carry daily - however I have a new favorite.

KL4-BK
E1E-BK body
Z68 Scoutlight BK tailcap(like E2D tailcap but without any crenelations)
CR123 liithium-ion rechargable

This particular KL4-BK is wicked bright - in a ceiling bounce test it beats both of my U2s and the tint is awesome, a tiny tiny hint of yellow/green if any.
If I had one complaint it would be the minor donut hole, but I only notice it when sneaking up on those white walls...
Oh how I love the HA-BK

tw4-bk.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a VERY similar setup. I had a black E1e with black KL1 head on it. Awesome. I didn't know the made the KL4 in black. Where did you get it and that tailcap? Hmmm now you got me thinking! Whats the runtime in that config?

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wish there was a way to adjust the beam for more throw on the KL4. I know that grnamin unscrewed his U2 head a hair to get rid of the donut hole (thereby getting a little more throw). I wonder if the same would be possible for this....

Jurphaas

Newly Enlightened
H TheSteve - Compliments with this very nice light. Has killer looks and is without doubt a stunning performer. I need to build me one too.... some day.
Jurphaas.

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
My set-up is:

KL4 Nat on a E1L can with a z57 (soon to be a two stage) powered by a RCR-123a by Battery station

I agree...it seems much birghter than my U2. The KL4 head is about a month old where as the U2 is the older 18650 body one(bought in 2005)... I wonder if the age has anything to do with it?

TheSteve

Newly Enlightened
The KL4-BK head is from a Scoutlight.
Runtime with an RCR123 should be about 25 minutes - regulated for most of that.
Runtime with a CR123 should be atleast an hour of excellent output followed by a few more of moon mode. I know KL4 performance on a single cr123 appears to vary based on the vf of the Luxeon, this particular KL4 still draws between 600 and 700ma off a single CR123 so the power supply is boosting, just not to full output.
I've had a TW4 before - but in HA-NAT which just isn't as nice to me. In black its exactly what I want. I also like the fully guarded tailcap, I've always been a fan of the defender tailcap but this one further protects the clickie against accidental activation and has no chance of catching on clothing.
And the best part is the number of possible different flashlight combos that can be made with the various "E" series Surefire parts, that number greatly increases when you also consider the aftermarket parts available.

dizzy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had no idea the KL4 would work off of 1 cell.(cr123a) I always thought 2 cells were needed. One new cr123a is about 3.3volts, so what is the minimum voltage needed to run a 5watt LED for any length of time?

That is a beauty of a light, for sure. Nice job!:)

TheSteve

Newly Enlightened
Size15's said:
The "ScoutLight" shrouded Clickie TailCap is the Z68....

I've been told the regular E2D tailcap is a Z68 and that if you order a Z68 from SF you'll get the crenelated version. I also see many pictures of Scoutlights with the crenelated version, so anyone ordering one should verify.

jar3ds said:
dang... thats just screaming for a X-bin LuxV! :D

Paypal is waiting for the elusive X-bin!

Last edited:

TheSteve

Newly Enlightened
dizzy said:
I had no idea the KL4 would work off of 1 cell.(cr123a) I always thought 2 cells were needed. One new cr123a is about 3.3volts, so what is the minimum voltage needed to run a 5watt LED for any length of time?

That is a beauty of a light, for sure. Nice job!:)

I believe the KL4 needs around 3.2 volts (under load) to run the luxeon at full output, as the voltage drops lower so will the output. The vf of the led also seems make some difference. I've had four KL4s and my first two didn't run very well off a single cr123, this one and the previous one I had made into a TW4 both run excellent on a single cr123.