Keychain light, RunTime, One LED, 2x 2016

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
The question we've all been waiting for the answer to !

What is the RT of the cheapy keychain light.

Quoted 16,000 mcd led. It is bright.

So, it's 5 hours very bright, running to at least 6 hours usable.

(I only expected an hour or so)

But then, my 9v clone is still bright at 5ma.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/133569

I wanted the LED for my 9v clone, so didn't mind running down the 2016's, I have loads anyway.

EV= my lightmeter EV reading, distance of 6", to give initial baseline reading of 8, using all the electronics you see. But then, the higher initial 10.3 reading shown is the light on it's own, no external electronics, same distance.

This was my initial set-up

Detail of magnetic clips onto 2016, older ones, the newer ones didn't seem to be of a metal that the magnets would stick to.

Closup of multimeters

However, after an initial promising start, I found that the thin croc clip leads were affecting the current draw.
I changed the leads for fatter ones, slight impovement, but current still low.

So, I bit the bullet, withdrew all electronics, and just pointed another new keychain light direct at the meter, and checked back every half hour.

The graph is above

Last edited:

MSI

Enlightened
Re: Keychain light, One LED, 2x 2016, 50p, ($1), RT

Impressive runtime, thanks for making the graph.

Where did you buy it, is it the same as those Lighthound sells? I just got one from Lighthound (for free) and was surprised at how bright it was.

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast

MSI said:
Impressive runtime, thanks for making the graph.

Where did you buy it, is it the same as those Lighthound sells? I just got one from Lighthound (for free) and was surprised at how bright it was.

Yes, I was amazed at RT, just one of those things you don't expect.

ebay, same as 150034160556

xiaowenzu

Banned

abvidledUK said:

How many lumens is that? :ohgeez: My Photon Freedom (genuine) apparently does 51,600 mcd on it's highest setting according to http://ledmuseum.home.att.net/ledleft.htm
for about 2 hours. However it's also has 10 levels of adjustible brightness, which is good because I usually find the highest setting too bright. :sold:

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review! I got a set of these 2x2016 from Fifth Element and was wondering how they perform and the run time.

It's a very small unit, smaller than a typical key and brighter than I expected. Good value for sure, if the run time is as indicated.

BTW, the LUx Lottery is still applicable. I could see some units were more yellow than others.

Last edited:

zipplet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Except they aren't luxeons... nichia lottery perhaps? :) Although I doubt the cheapest ones like this use nichias...

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
That was a Fraudean slip, sorry. Nichian Lottery sounds cool too.

they are very bright for their size. Declines sharply in the first few mins, then somewhat steady. Useful backup light, if you get stuck in an elevator, or have to change a tire in the dark or something, as an LED of last resort.

Something with a real battery is better obviously, but this thing is feather-weight.

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, these guys don't have Nichias in them. When you slip one in though, you'll notice the diffence in increased brightness, and purple outer edge to the beam.

tc17

Newly Enlightened
I had taped these on the outside of my Christmas presents as an extra little gift, and they all seemed to like it.

I like them because they are best for a keychain because they are small and light, and bright.

Although if you order from QualityChinaGoods, the ones labeled "red", actually look pink. At least mine did... I would have picked less of that color had I known that. Girls might prefer it though. I might even order more later on.

paulr

Flashaholic
I did an eyeball test (no meter) with one of those a while back and it was still lit (dim but enough to find one's way around in pitch dark) after several days nonstop.

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for running the test.

It would be interesting to see the same run-time done without all the electronics in the circuit. There has been a fair amount of resistance inserted between the batteries and the LED. This will cause a voltage drop and a reduced current flow in the circuit and will artificially increase run-times.

From my experience, the initial current from one of these 2x coin cell lights is in the order of 100mA. Your DMM looks like it is reading 8mA.

Food for thought.

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
abvidledUK said:

So, it's 5 hours very bright, running to at least 6 hours usable.

(I only expected an hour or so)

But then, my 9v clone is still bright at 5ma.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/133569

I wanted the LED for my 9v clone, so didn't mind running down the 2016's, I have loads anyway.

EV= my lightmeter EV reading, distance of 6", to give initial baseline reading of 8, using all the electronics you see. But then, the higher initial 10.3 reading shown is the light on it's own, no external electronics, same distance.

However, after an initial promising start, I found that the thin croc clip leads were affecting the current draw.
I changed the leads for fatter ones, slight impovement, but current still low.

So, I bit the bullet, withdrew all electronics, and just pointed another new keychain light direct at the meter, and checked back every half hour.

The graph is above

chimo said:
Thanks for running the test.

It would be interesting to see the same run-time done without all the electronics in the circuit. There has been a fair amount of resistance inserted between the batteries and the LED. This will cause a voltage drop and a reduced current flow in the circuit and will artificially increase run-times.

From my experience, the initial current from one of these 2x coin cell lights is in the order of 100mA. Your DMM looks like it is reading 8mA.

Food for thought.

That's just what I did, for that very reason !!!!!

See end of original post.

(The RT Graph seems to have gone missing, I've replaced it)

Last edited:

Tremendo

Enlightened
tc17 said:
Although if you order from QualityChinaGoods.....
I've never ordered from them before, but have an order being shipped today for 550 black keychain lights with white LED. Had them put one of my company names on it. Every keychain light I've given out has been greatly appreciated, and I've given 40+. Now, I'm finally going to give them out while promoting my business. I'll post when they arrive as to how they look in person.

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tremendo said:
I've never ordered from them before, but have an order being shipped today for 550 black keychain lights with white LED. Had them put one of my company names on it. Every keychain light I've given out has been greatly appreciated, and I've given 40+. Now, I'm finally going to give them out while promoting my business. I'll post when they arrive as to how they look in person.

You'll need to order a few thousand to post us one each !!