SSC LED/LuxIII Comparison

havand

Enlightened
I hooked up a SSC USWOL led and a LuxIII UWAJ for comparison.

Unfortunately, i don't have a lightmeter. Sorry about that. I might try to take some pics using the same settings to show 'relative' brigthness. I'll see.

Using MJ Driver aquired from Litemania ( i know not the best, but its what i had on hand).

***DAE 3.7V protected RCR123:
-LuxIII UWAJ
-3.52V across LED
-0.65A from battery
-SSC USWOL
-3.8V across LED
-0.42A from battery

***Tenergy 3.0V protected RCR123:
-LuxIII UWAJ
-3.43V across LED
-1.19A from battery
-SSC USWOL
-3.72V across LED
-0.75A from battery

***Primary CR123:
-LuxIII UWAJ
-3.29V across LED
-1.07A from battery
-SSC USWOL
-3.50V across LED
-0.67A from battery

Summary including converter efficiency:
-Dae 3.7V RCR123:
-LuxIII UWAJ: 2.288 Watts
-SSC USWOL: 1.596 Watts
-Tenergy 3.0V RCR123:
-LuxIII UWAJ: 4.0817 Watts
-SSC USWOL: 2.79 Watts
-Primary CR123:
-LuxIII UWAJ: 3.52 Watts
-SSC USWOL: 2.345 Watts

Sorry, but I don't have a lightmeter..I want to get one, but really want one with datalogging and they're just too expensive for me right now. This was about the best way i could think to show the brightness difference. Camera was set to the same settings for both.

The luxIII seems a bit brighter to me, but it is very hard to tell when just turning them on for a moment. I will say that the SSC USWOL seemed to generate less heat. I think the SSC looks brighter below because it was a little closer to the wall when i took the pics. It wasn't mounted on a star, like the UWAJ was.

I'm curious about what others think about the driver currents and output voltages based on the battery type. There is a HUGE difference in outputs based on the input. I have some thoughts about it, but nothing concrete enough to articulate. Please, comment.

UWAJ Pic: MJ Driver & Tenergy 3.0v

USWOL Pic: MJ Driver & Tenergy 3.0v

Last edited: