LED replacement for 3D Mag?

frosty

Enlightened
I currently have a Diamond 3W drop-in, which I've had for a year or so. It's OK but the tint isn't the best and neither is the beam even when tightly focused.

I am wondering whether I should replace this with either the new Diamond K2 module or the official 3W mag led module.

Incidentally I've seen the Diamond K2 on sale for $24.95, which is the same price of the original Diamond 3W which I already have and strikes me as a bit odd. The mag led module is $16.95.

Does anyone have experience with these three different dropins and how they compare?

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually I think there are several threads on this forum with regards to the merits of the two products. Best recommendation would be to try and read both sides and derive your own conclusions.

Additionally, flashlightreviews has reviews on both products that may help in your purchase decision.

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd probably go with the Mag drop-in first. It seems to work ok and you can get it with no shipping locally.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've seen both 3D cell and 3AA cell Mag LEDs in stores.
They do not make a 6 cell Mag LED, and there is really no reason for it, since LEDs don't use that kind of voltage.

Cevulirn said:
where have you seen the 3 cell MAG-led's

One other question, do they make 6 cell MAG-LED's?

riversedge

Newly Enlightened
You could also try the Craftsman 3xAAA LED, for under $20. As a bonus, you will have a decent aluminum bodied PR bulb host.

I loaded the Craftsman with a Nite-Ize PR bulb and gave it to my 7yo daughter. Plenty of light for her to use at night, and would probably be really handy camping.

pilou

Enlightened
Illum_the_nation said:
err...you mean $19.99?

thats the price i bought it from Target

We are talking about the dropin module, right? I thought I saw it for $9.99, but I am not sure at all. Perhaps it was a thrid party dropin module. I will double check if I ever go to target anytime soon (don't go often though). If am not mistaken, I think someone here mentioned that the D cell LED Mag was being sold for less than $30. If that is true, can just the drop in module cost $20?

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
From my experience, you should stick with the Diamond. Mine's a little blue too, but the performance is much better with the Diamond 3W than the MagLED, IMO. They start out with about the same output, but as the MagLED heats up, the output dims. The Diamond's better heatsinking and circuit prevent that problem.

You mention the beam not being the best on the Diamond.... I'm not sure why that would be, as the one I have focuses down to a very tight pencil-beam spot. It's the best throwing flashlight I own. Is yours not aligning with the reflector properly?

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
$9.99 is for the Nite-Ize module not the Mag. Target carries both. Also, Target customers (aka "guests") aren't very good about putting merchandise back on the right hook. So people who aren't very attentive or don't read very well can easily see the price on the hook and not be aware that the price is actually for another product. If there is doubt, it is usually best to use the price scanners to confirm the price. (Which is better than some Wal*Mart stores where they have removed the price scanners and have no price tags on the shelves.)

pilou said:
We are talking about the dropin module, right? I thought I saw it for $9.99, but I am not sure at all. Perhaps it was a thrid party dropin module.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually I think you'll find that the output from both the Diamond and the Mag dim once they heat up. And I'm not sure what circuit you're referring to, seems to me that the Diamond is a direct drive. Don't know if you've had the opportunity to actually compare the two side by side, but if you do, I think you may find that any difference may be less than you thought.

Insofar as output quality, that can vary with any of the LED modules, both the Diamond and the Mags.

NutSAK said:
From my experience, you should stick with the Diamond. Mine's a little blue too, but the performance is much better with the Diamond 3W than the MagLED, IMO. They start out with about the same output, but as the MagLED heats up, the output dims. The Diamond's better heatsinking and circuit prevent that problem.

You mention the beam not being the best on the Diamond.... I'm not sure why that would be, as the one I have focuses down to a very tight pencil-beam spot. It's the best throwing flashlight I own. Is yours not aligning with the reflector properly?

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thus far, both of my Magled dropins and other peoples' magleds and Magled dropins have been of a good quality white tint.
Not too blue, green, yellow, or pink.
About as white as leds seem to be able to get thus far.

The focus?
Unscrew the bezel of of the head of the light.
Rotate the reflector a quarter to half turn.
Reassemble and try it out.
It may take a few tries, as most maglites are not terribly precise with thier reflectors.
Once you get the "crosshairs" evened up in the beam, the emitter is right there in the middle of the reflector where it needs to be for a nice straight beam.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll second that one. Unfortunately I had to mess up a few well focused reflectors when I took the bezel apart, before I learned that one.

3rd_shift said:
The focus?
Unscrew the bezel of of the head of the light.
Rotate the reflector a quarter to half turn.
Reassemble and try it out.
It may take a few tries, as most maglites are not terribly precise with thier reflectors.
Once you get the "crosshairs" evened up in the beam, the emitter is right there in the middle of the reflector where it needs to be for a nice straight beam.

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brighteyez said:
Actually I think you'll find that the output from both the Diamond and the Mag dim once they heat up. And I'm not sure what circuit you're referring to, seems to me that the Diamond is a direct drive. Don't know if you've had the opportunity to actually compare the two side by side, but if you do, I think you may find that any difference may be less than you thought.

Insofar as output quality, that can vary with any of the LED modules, both the Diamond and the Mags.

Yes, I have compared them side by side, and I'm aware the Diamond is direct drive. Direct drive, by definition, is still a circuit. That's exactly the reason it doesn't dim like the MagLED--it doesn't have a heat-protection circuit. I don't know if you have had the opportunity to compare them side by side, but if you do, I think you will find that any difference is quite noticeable.

I think it's fairly obvious that output quality can vary, as it can with any LED light, Diamond, Mag or otherwise. I only commented about mine so the buyer isn't discouraged from buying the Diamond again due to the fact that he/she has one with poor beam quality.

Last edited: