need help with soldering iron + stand.

Ledacholic Anonymous

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for a good soldering iron with stand. What should I looked for. I have a simple soldering iron. Each time I try to put two things together, the solder forms a drop that is too big for my liking. Not sure what I have done wrong. I suspect that it is not hot enough. I am too amateur so forgive me if it sounds silly.

Makarov

Enlightened
I've just been through this, found out that the iron I got was big and hot for the purposes I needed. Since I had some equipment already I just bought myself a relative cheap 30W soldering iron.
I would recommend you buying a starter kit, and start using Flux when soldering(A advice I got when I complained to a friend about having problems)

Here's an example of a starterkit I found Googling.

I guess other more experienced in soldering got some advice as well :D

Ledacholic Anonymous

Newly Enlightened
This is a good start.

I thought most modern solder has enough flux in them to take care of the problem.

Should i get something with more watt? What temperature is the best for general soldering?

Delvance

Enlightened
How about getting one of those that come with a metal box that has adjustable temperature and a readout ? They're not too expensive nowadays and are generally available from most decent electronic stores. I think they generally range from about 30-70W. Should cover most soldering needs and they also come with a range of different tips too.