Mag Mods with Lux LEDs

bimemrboy318

Enlightened
I've recently acquired a MiniMag LED 2xAA and now want to build my own simple Mag Mod using a Lux LED.

I've read about the Space Needle and would like to go this route. But the LED bins are really confusing. Where can I buy a cheap 5W emitter? And how much should I expect to pay? I don't need pure white, just something that works. Hoping I can find one for under $10.

Then I'll need a heat sink either the hotlips or the o-sink.

Then I'll have to power my little wonder. The Space needle had 3xCR123s. This overdrove the Lux. At what voltage should I run the Lux at? I was thinking about using a 2D host and then putting in 4 C cell alkalines. Will that be enough? Like this guy did at the bottom of the page.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/94133&page=1&pp=30

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure, but it sounds like you're trying to reinvent the wheel? While you were getting your MiniMag, didn't you notice the Mag LED modules for the larger lights? By the time you get through piecing something together it's liable to cost more than the upgrade module.

Somy Nex

Enlightened
This post would probably be better served moved to one of the custom mod forums.

With regard to purchasing a LED, I'm sure there are others, but Photonfanatic is one seller of Luxeon LEDs that comes to my mind at the moment. A Lux V will set you back about 30-40 bucks, check what seems to be one of his sales threads here: http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=85330. It might be possible that you can get LEDs off some store out there for cheaper too if you don't mind playing the Lux lottery.

I can't add anything else of worth though, as I'm no modder and don't know the slightest useful bit about electronics :p

Last edited:

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
bimemrboy318 said:
I've read about the Space Needle and would like to go this route. But the LED bins are really confusing. Where can I buy a cheap 5W emitter?

Hello bimemrboy318 :)

For a space needle you need throw and for that you should go with a LuxIII.
This one you can find for under 10$.
4xC-cells will not fit a 2-D host. Think about the power source. Do you own AA-nimhs with a charger? If so, this would be the cheapest solution.

When you will buy a ready light with the perfect building quality for a really great price, take a look here:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/123310

Best regards

____
Tom

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I can help.
I have a Luxeon5 mounted on an Osink ready to put into a 2c magmod.
It has a 1.8 ohm resistor already installed in the back of the heatsink and wired to the led.
All that's left for you to do is find a 2c with a serial number that ends in "C"
If you already read up on how to do the sn2 build, this preassembled heatsink led unit will save you a couple of steps.
The led bin is VYOT by the way. ;)

I was going to take the led off of the sink and put in a super-duper expensive Xbinned led...
But I just didn't have the heart to rip apart a perfectly good working led heatsink assembly.

Yours for $22 shipped USA. :)

If you just want a super easy start to putting leds into maglites, then a Magled dropin led unit, diamond dropin, or an Everled would by far be the easier ways to get started.
Myself and other magmodders had our humble beginnings with led adaptor bulbs like the Everled and Diamond led dropins.

bimemrboy318

Enlightened
3rd,

What a generous offer but I'm going to pass. I've recently become immersed into the MiniMag color collection scene. But this would be a great bin already mounted for anyone interested. One thing though. A Vf of T... wouldn't this LED almost be better off in direct drive with 3xCR123s w/o any resistor at all?

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some people have gone without the resitor with these types.
However, with todays ever improving cr123's and especially strong lithium ion rechagreable batteries, a resistor became necessary for the sn2 clones, even with a ***T binned led.

Latest posts