L2 head on L1 body?

Siskik

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know if any damage would be caused either to the head or body if I put the L2 head on the body of the L1 (old version) with the L2 tail cap?

I want to use a rechargeable 123 in it (with initial voltage of 4.2v).

dizzy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The tailcaps on the L1 and L2 are the same, but as for the swapping of the heads and bodies, the bodies contain the electronics specific for its own head. I don't think the L1's body could handle the extra voltage of the RCR123, but I have never heard of anyone trying it either. I have heard that the electronics of the L2 body can be put into the L1 body, and a rechargable 123 cell used, but I'm not sure how to get the electronics portion out of the body without wrecking them or the light. Milkyspit is the one who offered to do this Mod for me if I decide to go ahead with it.

Maybe someone more knowledgable in Surefire LED electronics could explain what the circuits in each body do.(buck,boost?)Anyone?:)

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
RCR123 size is also an issue. The rechargable cell might not fit into the L1 body ebcause the diameter is tight/smaller than some rechargable cells.

Also as said above the electronics are in the body, maybe an SF perosn can chime in?

dizzy

Flashlight Enthusiast
JasonC8301 said:
RCR123 size is also an issue. The rechargable cell might not fit into the L1 body ebcause the diameter is tight/smaller than some rechargable cells.
Yes, you are correct. I just looked at the post where Milkyspit talked about the Mod to the L1 and it included boring out the body so the RCR123 would fit. :)

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
I *love* transplanting an L2 into an L1 body and running off RCR123! But nobody seems to want me to do that for them! Oh well. :wave:

Some unprotected cells do fit in an L1 body (sorry, don't know which brands), and they seem to run fine... but WARNING, the L1 circuitry will try to suck the life out of the cell! You would NOT want to run the cell dead in an L1. :eek:oo:

Regarding the circuitry, the L1 circuit might light the L2 head but only very dimly. The L2 circuit would probably cook the emitter in the L1 head, although just guessing here. You really do want to move the L2 circuit into the L1. To do it you need to break the tabs that hold it into the L2 body then push it out the front... but be careful... it's fit in there tightly, and easy to smash it by accident when trying to push it out! :eek:oo:

It's true that the tailswitches are the same in both lights... BUT to run the L2 circuit off an RCR123 and have a reasonable low beam, you'll need to mod the tailcap to change the resistance from stock... sorry, I don't recall which value I'd used last time... but keep in mind that the L2 circuit was built to do low beam off 2x123 primaries, so it gets a little weird when you try for a low beam off 1xRCR123.

Hope this helps! :)

And I'm still up for doing the transplant for anyone who would rather not do it themselves... :whistle:

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
SCblur said:
milkyspit, what's the runtime like w/ this setup?

Never formally runtime tested it, but my best guess would be about 45 minutes, which is probably at least 80% the runtime of the L2 on 2x123 primaries, if not more. Reason the seemingly smaller power source can do so well is that 123 primaries sag much more than a Li-ion cell will, so the L2 on 2x123 primaries will draw more current from the cells to compensate.

That's why I like this setup. You're at 80-90% of the stock L2 in both brightness and runtime, but in the smaller L1 package. IMHO it's an elegant solution. Only downside is that it requires an RCR123... primary will either light the thing very dimly, or not at all.

dizzy

Flashlight Enthusiast
milkyspit said:
I *love* transplanting an L2 into an L1 body and running off RCR123! But nobody seems to want me to do that for them! Oh well. :wave:

And I'm still up for doing the transplant for anyone who would rather not do it themselves... :whistle:

Don't count me out yet Milky, I am still considering doing this since I have both an L1 and an L2. I just don't know what could be done with the spare part that would be left. Any suggestions? (L2 body,L1 head and electronics):)

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
dizzy said:
Don't count me out yet Milky, I am still considering doing this since I have both an L1 and an L2. I just don't know what could be done with the spare part that would be left. Any suggestions? (L2 body,L1 head and electronics):)

Ummmm... I might buy them off ya! We could credit the parts toward the mod. Always happy to get those particular parts, as I like to tinker with 'em and create all sorts of strange and wonderful lights. :naughty:

Or if you prefer to keep them: I could build the body into an Optimator (we'd need to grab an old-style KL3 head to do this)... or could build the L1 head into a MilkMite, which is that tiny head given the Milky L1 treatment AND endowed with a regulation circuit... it's tough to cram all that in there! But done it before, and could do it again, heh heh. :)

PM whenever you're ready!

Bogie

Enlightened
I have a Red L1 & a Green L1 head I have swaped my L2 head onto the L1 & it will only light on HI, I don't have the guts to try the L1 heads on he L2 as I know there gonna fry