Arc AAA-P o-ring

Status
Not open for further replies.

batman

Enlightened
Hey all!

I know many of us own and adore our Arc AAA-Ps. but i have heard that the little styrofoam o-ring which is adhesed to the bezel ocasionally comes unglued and seperates. Arc will replace it for free, etc,etc..but I don't see the point? Just put it in place even after it's not glued anymore right? Shouldn't matter to me because it still fits right in place..shouldn't the flashligth still operate normally?

Next question: for campers...anyone think the ARC AAA-P is bright enough for cooking in the dark? (like the surefire pics where he has an E1L on his ballcap).

Coop57

Enlightened
When I contacted Arc about replacing the "donut" they sent me two new ones. They told me the only function was to prevent battery rattle.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I can see no faults in your logic. My old Arc has never had a problem with the foam ring, but if it did I'd just lay it on top or re-glue it, making sure the battery terminal would still contact the head. As far as being bright enough for cooking, I would think so, providing there is not so much ambient light around to drown it out. Lights like this really work best in dark conditions.

Geoff

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
mine is no longer attached, only thing is when replacing batter you have to shake it out, as it holds it in a little.

I've heard of some putting it in the bottom of the tube, but I'd worry that it'd stick and never get out.

The new arcAAA P would defiantly be bright enough. Compared to the old ones, it's like turning on a light with 5 or more 5mm leds!! It's just a huge difference. The old ones would even work to get buy, but the new ones are just really bright. the nichia CS is pretty amazing for a 5mm led.

crocodilo

Enlightened
I had to manufacture a similar donut for my Fenix P1. Just cut it out of an old neoprene mousepad, and stuck it without glueing it. No need to. Not a problem, just like the ARC's.

Scottiver

Enlightened
Definitely bright enough to cook by. I use mine all the time as a "headlamp" clipped to my ball cap when i'm camping. It's the perfect brightness for close up camp chores.

xring

Newly Enlightened
The new arcAAA P would defiantly be bright enough. Compared to the old ones, it's like turning on a light with 5 or more 5mm leds!! It's just a huge difference. The old ones would even work to get buy, but the new ones are just really bright. the nichia CS is pretty amazing for a 5mm led.[/QUOTE]

I've got the P model. The brightness is sufficient, but I would definitely not call it bright. I have a coin cell LED light that cost a buck that's twice as bright. I'm not knocking it. It is what it is.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
xring: do you have the newest P model? The one with the nicha CS and tapered head? A coin cell light will overdrive the led probably way more than the Arc does, so maybe it is brighter than your P?

xring

Newly Enlightened
Yes, I've got the new P model. I wish Arc would offer an overdriven one as an option. Even at the expense of run time...or offer a head that can be swapped out.
Some of those small coin lights a so bright I can't believe it.

GregWormald

Enlightened
If you really like the Arc AAA form and want a brighter light, may I suggest a "Miller-Mod" (here on CPF). He does a very nice 2 stage luxeon upgrade that is a killer--and you can choose the levels of both the high and low stage.
Greg

xring

Newly Enlightened
That's a great mod, and well worth the price if one insists on the ARC as the sole EDC. I just have too many $75 pocket lights as it is. None are quite as compact as the ARC.

J Smith

Newly Enlightened
It is bright enough for me to load pepsi and run a forklift in a power outage.
The forklift has headlights but when you turn your head to the side going from the light of the headlights to dark I am blind.I clip the ARC to the bill of my cap and bang,I can see the load sheet,anything around the lift and the product down the very dark rows.
The lift has headlights and with the ARC AAA on my cap I have headlights.

Status
Not open for further replies.