Pic request: KL3 module on a 6P

afultz075

Newly Enlightened
Might be looking at getting this upgrade for my 6P which doesn't seem to get a whole lot of use from me. I'm hoping to get a pic to see what it looks like on a 6P and how well the black finish KL3 matches the anno of the 6P body.

Second, are those of you with the Kl3 happy with it? It looks like it gets 3 hours runtime with awesome regulation and 19 lumens with an optic. This sounds very similar to an L1. How does the beam of the KL3 compare to the beam of an L1?

LiteFan

Enlightened
I recently purchased the KL3 upgrade (Gen3)and love it. It throws well, way better than my L2 is pretty bright with good tint, but I think that it is more than 19 lumens. Will try to host some pictures tonight.

I suck with a camera also but here we go:

Last edited:

Delta447

Newly Enlightened
I'm an idiot w/cameras, so I'll let someone else post a photo of the KL3/6P combo. I first bought a 9P, liked it a lot, but wanted something w/more run time. I put a KL3 on it and liked it so much that I ended up buying another KL3 and putting it on a 6P body. The throw is awesome, and the light stays in regulation for such a long time that the KL3 will pay for itself in saved battery costs over time (unless you are using rechargeables). It will also run for a good period of time after your incandescant bulb can no longer run on a set of batteries. The light is very white. The only drawback to the KL3 is that it makes the 6P/9P a bigger light. The KL3 head is significantly bigger than the original bezel, so the combo won't fit in some 6P holsters anymore. The finish of the KL3 head does differ slightly from the 6P body. However, I didn't notice this until you raised the question.

I won't know how the KL3 compares to the L1 until sometime next week. However, my understanding is that you get more throw and output from the KL3 head than you do from a KL1 or L1 head.

afultz075

Newly Enlightened
And that brings up another thing, will the KL3'd 6P fit in my V20 holster? I find a holster is pretty much the only comfortable way to carry a 6P which is probably part of the reason I don't use it as much.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
VERY PLEASED with mine! I have 4 - but am "thinning the herd" due to other "priorities". I'll keep one for sure, no question about it!

Raven

Enlightened
Delta447 said:
I first bought a 9P, liked it a lot, but wanted something w/more run time. I put a KL3 on it...

I'm curious; was this an old style 9P body? I've probably ask about this before, but I'm wondering if a KL3 head would fit on the 9P that I bought about a decade ago.

Paladin

Enlightened
The finish on my later KL3-BK is slightly flatter than the glossy black anodizing on 6/9P's. The early ribbed KL3-BK finish is glossy and matches well.

Paladin

afultz075

Newly Enlightened
Wow, this sounds like a great upgrade.

Any word on whether or not a KL3'd 6P will fit in a V20?

How much bigger is the KL3 head compared to the incan head? (comparison pics would be great!)

Last edited:

benighted

Enlightened
I have a KL5 for my 6P. I like the amount of white light it puts out but I don't like how much bigger it makes the light. I've just placed an order for one of these.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Here's a 6P/KL3 gen 2 (the one without the concentric rings and a sloped base):

6pkl3yg2.jpg

Last edited:

FredericoFreire

Enlightened
benighted said:
I have a KL5 for my 6P. I like the amount of white light it puts out but I don't like how much bigger it makes the light. I've just placed an order for one of these.

Do you mind to share with us the pic of your KL5 in a 6P?

Thanks !

Delta447

Newly Enlightened
afultz075 said:
And that brings up another thing, will the KL3'd 6P fit in my V20 holster? I find a holster is pretty much the only comfortable way to carry a 6P which is probably part of the reason I don't use it as much.

If the top of the V20 holster loops over the light to keep it in place, then no, it will not fit in the holster. That KL3 head is big, which is probably why it works so well. I actually like the KL3 head on the 9P better than on the 6P b/c the head feels more balanced on a bigger flashlight. Neither my 6P or 9P are carried b/c they are too big. However, they are kept handy around the house for general purpose.

Delta447

Newly Enlightened
Raven said:
I'm curious; was this an old style 9P body? I've probably ask about this before, but I'm wondering if a KL3 head would fit on the 9P that I bought about a decade ago.

I think mine is a new style. You may want to ask SF about this. My guess is that they haven't altered the 9P much if at all from 10 years ago.