4D 3W with good run time?

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am looking for a good 4D LED, likely with 3W and also pretty good run time.

I already have a Maglite 4D I converted but I am concerned about heat sinking (and long-term reliability thereof)

What are my choices?

I know ElektroLumens makes some 4D lights, which are very bright, but how long do they last? They are essentially custom made lights.

What are my other choices, a custom Maglite?

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've only heard good things about Elektrolumens lights. They sound pretty solid.

I think Underwater Kinetics has 4D and 8D lights, and the Dorcy 3W lantern comes with a 4D>lantern adapter and four D cells.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't underestimate the Dorcy 3D 1W Luxeon light either. It's brighter than a lot of other lights called 3 watters (mine measured over 4000 cd at beam center, and it had good spill), runs a long time, costs maybe $25, and is pretty well made, although lighter than the Maglites and Elektrolumens lights.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
It seems that with 4D LED, the options are very limited. Dorcy seems like an inexpensive light... MagLite grade or so, and the other other "tube" alternative is ElektroLumens, which are very nice, great heat sinks, very bright (and expensive).
Basically my only problem with ElektroLumens is their poor run time. Their niche seems to be highest Lumens, they for example make the brightest LED in the world as they claim.

I am far more impressed by 40 hours of run time than 200+ Lumens.

Maybe a custom Mag is my answer. Do you know who does custom Mag conversions?