Fenix E0, anyone else disappointed

Abouna

Newly Enlightened
I received my E0 today. To say I am unhappy would be an understatement. However maybe my expectations are overblown.

The build is excellent and the twisty is super smooth. However I bought this as a gift to replace a current Photon. Unfortunately the Photon is noticeably brighter both in the spot and the spill (and no, this is not one of the newer 2X Photons).

Am I expecting too much here? I don't think the person I intended to give this too will be impressed with longer run time and easier to get batteries if the output is a step down. Way down if you ask me.

LG&M

Enlightened
I would be glad to take it off your hands.:laughing:

meat

Newly Enlightened
The new E0 is 5.5 lumens, which isn't much, but it is enough to light a path. I believe your E0 and Photon use the same 5mm lens. The spill is larger on your Photon, because there isn't a reflector. On my keychain light (from Lighthound) the spill is huge, but it is mostly a dark circle, except the edge. On my E0, the whole spill circle is lit up.

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Photon is brighter as it runs off two CR2016 cells providing up to Six volts, the Fenix only runs from one cell at up to 1.5 volts, apart from that I'm quite happy with
mine as it has a great runtime and can run from rechargeables

Abouna

Newly Enlightened
meat said:
The new E0 is 5.5 lumens, which isn't much, but it is enough to light a path. I believe your E0 and Photon use the same 5mm lens. The spill is larger on your Photon, because there isn't a reflector. On my keychain light (from Lighthound) the spill is huge, but it is mostly a dark circle, except the edge. On my E0, the whole spill circle is lit up.

I guess I'm missing something. There is just simply no comparison, the keychain light blows the E0 away. No if ands or buts about.:grin2: It's defintely not just spill, the spot is also way brighter.

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
TORCH_BOY said:
The Photon is brighter as it runs off two CR2016 cells providing up to Six volts, the Fenix only runs from one cell at up to 1.5 volts, apart from that I'm quite happy with

What he said. You can't expect the same level of output from 1.5v as you get with 6V unless there is one h*ll off a boost circuit.

MG_Saldivar

Newly Enlightened
Abouna,

It's funny, I thought of starting a thread on this topic, too. I just received my E0 from Fenix-Store yesterday. I was also hoping for... Something... I can't say I'm totally crushed for $20, but I guess I was expecting to be wowed more than I was. I probably had overly high expectations; then again, every other Fenix I've bought has wowed me for one reason or another (Civitor - wow, cheap and bright! P1 - wow, cheap for a CR123 and SUPER bright! L0P - wow, bright and uses AA's!)

All the reviews I've seen of runtime, etc. seem positive, and mine certainly works well -- it's about as bright as my Arc AAA premium. I guess I was mostly surprised by how much less sturdy the construction is compared to my other Fenixes and my Arc... Not sure why I feel that way, there's just something about the form factor...

Abouna

Newly Enlightened
TORCH_BOY said:

Ahhh, I forgot about that. Very inportant consideration. Answers it all really. Maybe I should have opted for an E1 or L0P.

meat

Newly Enlightened
Well I don't actually have a Photon brand keychain light, so I can't compare brightness, but I assume beam pattern would be similar between the 2 keychain lights. I have the Lighthound version. I think the construction of the E0 is on par with the P1 and L1P, but not as hefty as the Arc AAA.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Photons are nice, no question, but leave both on for an hour or two and I suspect the E0 will be ahead. I all you want is an occasion keyhole light either works fine. If you think longer use is needed, then a light that takes AAA or AA batteries would work better. I think most of us that snapped up E0's were mostly impressed by the regulation and runtime, and probably didn't expect it to be any brighter than it is.

Geoff

MacTech

Enlightened
Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Earth, USA, New England
Nope, i'm happy with mine, i ordered them *knowing* they were a dim light, to be honest i was actually surprised by how bright they *are* for what they have to work with, a single 1.5V AAA cell isn't that much of a power source

i was looking for an affordable long-runtime keyring light, that's what i got, i'm satisfied, if i want brighter lights, i have plenty to choose from, but i have far fewer long-runtime lights

Skibane

Enlightened
NutSAK said:
You can't expect the same level of output from 1.5v as you get with 6V unless there is one h*ll off a boost circuit.

Fenix also uses just one AAA cell to drive a 1 watt Luxeon in the L0P, so it's not the battery's fault. Basically, they's just using an unexceptional LED, and not over-driving it (as opposed to the Photon, which overdrives the crap out of an unexceptional LED).

Personally, when you can own an E1 for just 4 bucks more (with twice the brightness and a full 5 regulated hours on an Energizer Lithium), I don't see the attraction of the E0 anyway...

Nebula

Enlightened
What MacTech says! The EO is a great little light. I once tried to use my Photon in a dimly lit restaurant. All I succeeded in doing was embarassing my guests, and announcing to everyone in the room that some idiot just turned on a flashlight. Thanks to the EO now all I manage to do is embarass my wife. Kirk

flyingbrass

Newly Enlightened
All I have experience with in low output lights is a NiteIze module in my Minimag. How do the E0's and E1's brightness compare to what I have?

Last edited:

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jjees, come on folks. you knew the E0 was not going to be as bright as a Photon Feedom,,, X1... Arc-ps...it`s designed to be a bright/comprimise run time light....after two hours , which one do you want in your hand...and come on, it`s not that dimm...it runs just behind them. I don`t know. To me...seems like they met another trade off right on target. No magic. Just clear thinking all the way around. Meshes with the Fenix line up very well. You want bright...run time be damm...L0P, you want a tradeoff, tilt to bright, E1, you want long run time without to much comprimise, here you go...E0. Seems like they stay on top of things...just need LED`s, regulators and batts to improve. And they don`t make these...just try to combo them in the best way...things they hope we like at prices that we like.

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix E0, anyone else disappointed

For 20 bucks? You better believe I am. I already have a "midnight snack" light - a Dorcy 1xaaa for 6.
This might serve as a good light to always have on you if your emergencies consist of reading a wine list.

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
Badbeams said:
Jjees, come on folks. you knew the E0 was not going to be as bright as a Photon Feedom,,, X1... Arc-ps...it`s designed to be a bright/comprimise run time light....after two hours , which one do you want in your hand...

My Streamlight 1xAA Task Light. I can always just mimic the Fenix E0 on low mode and run just as long, if not longer. (Yes, I just compared the two)
I like runtime and all, but if you're needing alot of runtime chances are you're in a bit of a pickle.
I wouldn't wanna be stuck with this in a pickle.

On the upside, it's better than an incan solitaire at least.

Somy Nex

Enlightened
Lit Up said:
For 20 bucks? You better believe I am. I already have a "midnight snack" light - a Dorcy 1xaaa for 6.
This might serve as a good light to always have on you if your emergencies consist of reading a wine list.

that dorcy and streamlight certainly are nice buys for the money. but you seem to be overlooking a few 'extras' afforded by the E0. Whether you may or may not need them (I don't, and so i haven't bought the E0), there's no denying that there are others do need and do value the features & particular combination of features afforded by the Fenix, which among others includes
- type III anodize (some say quasi),
- regulation--from the reports, comparable at least Arc's, and
- the form factor (size/output)

with about 8 hours in regulation for the E0 (i believe), the dorcy would have faded, spent and be long dead by 5 hours according to quickbeams website, and this little light will be chugging along for another 3 hours in regulation and another 20 hours before it gets spent. if they didn't appeal, folks wouldn't buy their lights and they'd be out of business =)

the tasklight on the other hand, uses an AA, so with more capacity, i truly hope it lasts longer. it seems SL quotes 80 hours, but they've either been spot on, or completely off (in both directions!) with their runtime quotes. but is it regulated? but hey, since we're comparing apples with oranges, with more capacity into the mix, i'd like to say my old-style Pila GL4's LED tailcap is also "better" and "brighter", with 4LEDs at 40 hours of runtime. of course it's also huge and uses 4xCR123s, and of course, i may not want brighter or bigger. :)

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well to me, one word stands on lights: useability.
I don't care to use a flashlight that I have to eye strain to utilize. If it didn't impress me within the first 3 mniutes, it's not gonna do it 5-8-20 hours later. ;)

I have a cheap, 4 dollar, AAA Remington penlight that'll illuminate my storage barn standing halfway down my driveway. So yes, I was expecting a bit more for 20 bucks. If it works for everybody else, great. I was just stating my opinion on it.

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
the E0 is what it is... a LONG lasting heavy duty light... its going to last a LOT longer than the unregulated photon... brightness is not always BETTER when it comes to a keychain light anyways