Question about the Orb Raw's runtime on high

benp1

Newly Enlightened
Is it OK to use the Orb Raw on high until the (protected) battery dies. Will the heat kill the LED? Will the heat kill anything else? How hot does it really get?

If it changes anything, its fairly new, like in the last few months, with a U bin and a 2 stage

Thanks

easilyled

Flashaholic
I have an original U-bin raw - only one stage and that's (very) high ;)

It becomes very hot very quickly and as soon as I feel the temperature
on my hand getting very hot, I tend to twist it off for a bit.

I only use it in bursts, and I believe this is safer for the led.

There is simply not enough metal bulk in the light to sufficiently conduct
the head away from the led safely, for it to be left on for long stretches at a time.

I wouldn't leave it on for longer than a minute or two continuously.

The K2 (U-bin) raw should in theory be safer to leave on for longer as the K2 is supposed to be able to withstand much higher junction temperatures than
the ordinary Lumileds emitters/stars.

benp1

Newly Enlightened
The only reason I asked is because I know runtimes have been done, so have these people turned them on and off and regular intervals to let it cool down.

You are right about it getting hot, but I was hoping that as the runtime is so short anyway, it might just last!

easilyled

Flashaholic
I think when the guys do these runtime tests, they cool the lights while they are doing them in general.

I know that Rob has only advocated using high in bursts for his Raw series though. I have have seen this said in some of his posts - even as recently as for the K2 Raw.