Fenix P1 and Rechargeable RCR123's

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can the Fenix P1 safely use RCR123 rechargeable batteries? I'm sure this has been discussed before but the CPF Search function has not been working since I've been on the last hour so I can't search to find an answer. BTW anyone who hasn't got one of the P1's yet is missing a great little power house - awesome light and actually much smaller than I thought. Almost Jil Lite size with a CR123 battery - how'd they sqweeze it into such a small package :goodjob:

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I need to get some more but first two were some expensive ones from Delkin Devices which have a problem working in most lights due to the tail (negative) side being recessed too much from the plastic wrap. I think I had some other issues with this battery too - something was not correct in their advertising. I've also got a couple much less expensive 700mah from one of our dealers here - I think it was AW. They are okay but one seems to lose it's charge too fast - goes down much faster than the other. I don't believe mine are the protected ones.

BayGleam

Newly Enlightened
The manufacturer's disclaimer does recommend against using RCR123s, but I've been using protected RCR123s (3.6V nominal, 4.2V off the charger) with my P1 with success. I like the increased output and guilt-free lumens the RCR123 provides but my P1 does get pretty warm after 2-3 minutes of use so I give it periodic breaks to cool it off when using it for an extended time, or use prescribed CR123s in those cases. Great little light!

daveman

Enlightened
Would rechargables in P1 reduce runtime or peak output? Yes, the P1 is a remarkable little light, my best single 123A so far (despite having returned one DOB).

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
Daveman, on RCR123s the runtime is about half that of CR123s, but the peak brightness is much greater (particularly if you put the cell in hot off the charger at 4+ V!!).

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for all the comments and info. Now that I got out my glasses and actually read the package it came in I see the answer was right there. Input Voltage 1.5 to 4 volts. And it basically says rechargeables can be used in it to get up to 75 Lumens but they don't suggest it. I've already tried it by now and no problems here. Generally I'll use a rechargeable if I know I'm going to use a light on a project that needs the light to be on a lot of time. My P1 will get fed RCR's as needed :)

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it ok to use RCR123's rated at 3v, ie halfway between CR123's @ 3v, and RCR123 3.6v's @ 4.2v ?

My RCR123 3v's run @ about 3.6v off charger

Any idea of RT and graph with 3v RCR123's?

All my RCR123's above are unprotected.

Last edited:

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
abvidledUK said:
Is it ok to use RCR123's rated at 3v, ie halfway between CR123's @ 3v, and RCR123 3.6v's @ 4.2v ?

My RCR123 3v's run @ about 3.6v off charger

Any idea of RT and graph with 3v RCR123's?

All my RCR123's above are unprotected.

Fenix%20P1.png

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks CF.

Already seen your graph.

Doesn't answer my specific question though, about unprotected 3v RCR123 @3.6v, and 3.6v RCR123 @4.2v in P1.

Anyone else help ?

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been using 3 Volt RCR's in mine for a long time with no apparent ill effects. I figure IF the 3 Volts overdrive the circuit/LED at all, at least it's not as much. :)

Dave

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
45/70 said:
I've been using 3 Volt RCR's in mine for a long time with no apparent ill effects. I figure IF the 3 Volts overdrive the circuit/LED at all, at least it's not as much. :)

Dave

Thanks

What sort of RT do you get ?

Does it appear to follow a regulated output, ie quite constant for quite a while ? upto 120 mins RT

Or like the 3.6v RCR123's, high for a shorter period, then dips dramatically ? upto 60 mins RT

Or somewhere in between.

From CF's graphs above, I would expect somewhere in between.

Last edited:

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm happy that the 3v RCR123's will work ok.

Just wondering about RT's etc, prior to receiving my P1 (s/h)

I suppose I'll find out soon enough, well in a week or two anyway.

Latest posts