SF L4 vs E2e vs ???

ufmace

Newly Enlightened
So, I have an E2e that I've been using as my EDC when off of work. But, I've always found the early run-down of incandescents to be annoying, and I'm interested in the L4. According to the SF website, the L4 is supposed to be 100 lumens to the E2e's 60, at roughly the same size. I haven't had the opportunity to see them side by side yet, so does anyone have practical experience in this? Is the L4 really noticably brighter then the E2e, especially in terms of a more intense hotspot, rather then more spill? How about after around 30 minutes of runtime? Any other lights to consider?

I already have a HDS U60 that I use at work, and I really like the regulation and the options there. But I'd like something brighter and more simple to have when out and about.

The Porcupine

Enlightened
Although visually very alike, the L4 and E2e are very different. The L4 is an all flood light with very little hotspot.
That aside, the output is impressive for such a small light and (at least to me) very useful.
Your E2e will work a lot better outside, in ambient light and if you need to light up something at a distance. The L4 shines in being able to light up a large area.
It's a bit hard to compare the 60 lumens of the E2e to the 100 of the L4, as the beams are very different, but the L4 puts out a lot of light! And the runtime and regulation is excellent as well.

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you like the E2e's size and power, stick with it.

If you want more runtime, you could try a KL1 LED head on your E2e that will give you several hours of regulated output. It is not quite a bright as the E2e but very close. You could then change back and forth between the incandescent E2e bulb and the LED head.

If you want more lumens and want to stick to the incandescent bulbs in roughly the same length package consider the 6P with two R123 rechargable batteries and a P90 bulb.

Finally, if you are considering spending the money for the L4 you may be better served buying the A2 instead. The price is nearly the same and the A2 has a regulated incandescent. It would be like your E2e but without the early rundown. It would stay as bright as the E2e for the whole hour. It slightly longer in length than the E2e but just as pocketable. With the A2 you also get the benefit of a two stage light.

carrot

Flashaholic
To my knowledge, the L4 does not have a more intense hotspot than the E2e, but rather a wider one. For illuminating large swaths of area the L4 shines (no pun intended) but the E2e is no slouch, having the advantages that The_Porcupine already outlined.

The Porcupine

Enlightened
carrot said:
To my knowledge, the L4 does not have a more intense hotspot than the E2e, but rather a wider one.
True! I meant that the L4 has "very little" hot spot as in almost none!:)

strat1080

Newly Enlightened
If you want more runtime you aren't going to get it with the L4. The runtime is extended by another 30min. to 50% output with the L4 but that still isn't significantly better than the E2. If you want more runtime your best bet would be to simply install a KL1 like other said rather than buy a whole new flashlight. That way when you feel like having incand. you can switch back at any time. The regulation on the KL1 is awesome. It stays pegged at full output to just shy of 3hrs. If you are willing to spend the cash for an L4 I also second the notion of getting the A2. You have a nice low power mode for getting common tasks done, while having a monster incand. beam. The incand. mode in the A2 is very well regulated as well. It will stay at full output to 50min. unlike an E2e which would be at 50% at that point with a rather yellow beam. The incand. mode on the A2 is also nice and bright and very white. You also have the benefits of the LEDs if you run your incand. completely down. The L4 is a completely different type of beam. It is a total flood light with very little throw. It all depends on what you're looking for I suppose. There is no way that you're going to get a brighter light than the E2e that has significantly longer run time. You either get output or runtime short of going the multi-level or incand/LED hybrid route.

ufmace

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the help, I guess the L4 isn't really what I'm looking for.

I do already have a E1L, which I bought to try out as a work light. I don't like it too much for that, since it's mostly spot, and with the big KL1 head and little 1 battery body, it's too top-heavy and doesn't hang well on the pocket clip. I might take another look at the brightness of it on the E2e. The trouble is, I have one of the old-style E2es, with the clip on the head, so putting the KL1 on it leaves no pocket clip.

Then again, if LEDs just can't do it yet for a good hotspot, I may stick with the E2e, or maybe check out a C2 or A2. The C2's thickness looks easier to carry then the A2's extra length, and I already have an Arc AAA on the keychain for a not to bright option.

Oh decisions, decisions... :thinking:

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get an E2e with Fivemega's strion socket upgrade. The light will be brighter, larger hotspot, and rechargeable batteries and the light output stays fairly consistent throughout the discharging of the batteries.

Mikeg23

Enlightened
ufmace said:
The trouble is, I have one of the old-style E2es, with the clip on the head, so putting the KL1 on it leaves no pocket clip.

Does anyone have a picture of this?

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
carrot said:
To my knowledge, the L4 does not have a more intense hotspot than the E2e, but rather a wider one. For illuminating large swaths of area the L4 shines (no pun intended) but the E2e is no slouch, having the advantages that The_Porcupine already outlined.

I've had experience with both the lights involved and carrot's representation is the closest to what I've seen.

The L4 has a wider hotspot than the e2e. The e2e has a lot of light in the center of the beam and much less in the spill. Overall the L4 puts out a lot more light than the e2e. The L4's spillbeam is much brighter than the e2e's. If you are looking for throw, the L4 still manages to throw well. In my tests in pitch dark in open and wooded rural areas, I would say that at close to medium distances the L4 gets the nod for overall illumination. At longer ranges it becomes a bit harder. The L4 still lights up objects but for some reason, they are a little harder to perceive than they would be with the e2e. For sheer beam throw distance, the e2e wins. So don't totally discount the L4, it still throws well, but as others have said its beam is characterised well by the term "flood".

I would still recommend that you get or try a KL4. They can be had for relatively cheap here on the buy/sell/trade forums or at some of CPF's dealers.

J_Roc

Newly Enlightened
Hi ufmace,

I had an E2o with both the regular and high output lamps (so same output as an E2E). I picked up a KL4 head and did not go back to the incans. The regulated output did it for me - and it really puts out a lot of light! I have used the two side by side, both indoors and out, and never felt the L4 to be inadequate.

You could always pick up a KL4 head instead of the whole L4...

luigi

Enlightened
The L4 is great to illuminate interiors when the lights are out. For example if you point the L4 to the ceiling a medium-sized room will be lit to the point where you can read. If you do the same with the E2 you will find less ambient light. This is IMHO the best way to check the difference in total output.
But as other posters have said if you go outside the e2 will reach further objects.
Please note I'm not saying the L4 is not for outdoors it can be used in both environments but I found it better indoors because of the flood beam.

Luigi