U2 in Nitrolon?

grnamin

Enlightened
I would love to see a version of the Surefire U2 in Nitrolon or a model with features similar to that of the U2. I think a similar Nitrolon unit would come out a little bit lighter and you won't have to worry about the anodizing coming off eventually. :D Anyone else?

Rigor

Newly Enlightened
Why wouldn't work?

Temperature? I am using my G2 with 9V bulb and RCR123s -> about 10W... Using 4 sets of batteries on row (2hours) no problems... Gets warm but doesn't burn my hands.

Hmmm...
Maybe wouldn't work because nitrolon isn't considered as nice and sexy as HAIII aluminum :D

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
No thats not what KAM meant. The LED emitter ITSELF as well as the electronics package would not be able to handle the heat. See, with incans, alot of the heat is projected out in the beam. You can feel it when you point it at your hand. Not to mention that theres' basically nothing to an incandescent lamp. A tungsten filament and well thats' about it. With LEDs', the emitter doesn't get rid of heat very well - **** poor as a matter of fact. You have to have some good heat conducting material - like aluminum - to "pull off" the heat generated. Thats' a very short explanation mind you, some smarter people may come in here and clear things up even more....

SCblur

Enlightened
Holy crap, I would freakin' love that. I know this is stupid, but w/ all the nice SF lights I own, I like the feel of my G2 the best, because of the nitrolon. And unlike HAIII, I actually think scuffs and scrapes make the nitrolon look better. They'd have to figure out how to heat sink the LuxV pretty good, and I'm guessing there isn't a lot of extra space in the head to do that.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you think they would sell well? If I was spending $200+ on a light I don`t think I would want plastic...even the more durable stuff like nitrolon. But you know what...maybe the military might.

Ken

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Badbeams said:
Do you think they would sell well? If I was spending $200+ on a light I don`t think I would want plastic...even the more durable stuff like nitrolon. But you know what...maybe the military might.

Ken

thats the thing, it wouldnt cost $200.

-david

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cheaper Cheapo? Damm you picked you name well :) Just how much less are we talking about. More than...say $20 less?

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The life of the LuxV would be drastically reduced. LED's have to be able to transfer their heat to the body of the light in order to not burn out. LuxV's generate a lot of heat.

SCblur

Enlightened
how many lumens could you realistically expect from a luxIII? Would that be much cooler than a luxV? A luxIII nitrolon U2, a little smaller than the original. Oh yeah, I'd get one for sure.

Last edited:

grnamin

Enlightened
SCblur said:
how many lumens could you realistically expect from a luxIII? Would that be much cooler than a luxV? A luxIII nitrolon U2, a little smaller than the original. Oh yeah, I'd get one for sure.

Now there's an ideal! :thumbsup: