porcupine lights.... why so pricey?

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
the u2 porcupine looks just like a normal u2, other than the bezel.... it costs 300 dollars more than a regular u2... 300 dollars for a bezel??? that doesnt sound right.

-David

Illum

Flashaholic
your buying the laser engraving and the Suefire's porky serial....thats about all I can think of....and i dont think theres threads on the bevel for the porky part...

only porky that I'm convinced for the price would be the L6 porky

NAW

Enlightened
The only thing I can think of is that they know people buy it no matter what the price is.

Some of the prices they offer I can justify but some of there other producs no way!

SCblur

Enlightened
verry limited supply, some people think they're cool. Two main ingredients for over-pricing.

my question is, will rare (LED) collectors lights like these still be worth a lot when the LuxV becomes inefficent and dim compared to new led tech.?

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
What Torch Boy said. But, I've blown over $400 for a little Strider SnG knife that doesn't seem to cut any better than a $30 Gerber, so it all depends on what floats your boat. Thats part of what makes this whole flashlight/knife/gun/EDCtool game so fun.

peace

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, the cost of getting one is automatically higher in the US because they're only made for the Asian (HK or Japan...I forget) market. It's a premium light that needs to be imported.

The rest is collector's value I guess. We've seen how much one-off or limited numbered McGizmo or Katokichi Ichishiki lights can go for.

WAVE_PARTICLE

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why do people pay absorbent amounts on rare stamps for their collection that they will never use? Why do people pay $1.00 for a newly minted $0.25 coin?

Interesting questions, but the bottom line is each and every person functions with their very own and personal value system. To you, that U2 porcupine is probably only worth the value of a regular U2....but to another person, they see a lot more than that. Some people place value on exclusivity. Some people don't care for that and only want to use a flashlight for its intended use.....which is...well....to be used!

It all comes down to this: never try to understand the mind of a collector or an enthusiast.... It's like trying to understand the mind of people with A-type personalities (base jumpers, bungie jumpers, extreme sports...etc.). Their actions just don't make sense and defies logic.

WP