My KL1 flickers as it runs down... (normal???)

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
As the title suggests, as my KL1 runs down the head will completely turn off. After a second or two the emitter comes on about half strength, then full, then off, then repeat. Is this normal? I'm assuming not based on the runtime graph on flashlightreviews.com. Should I send it in for service?

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a red KL1 that did the same thing. I switched to a different battery, and it went away.

I'm betting there's nothing wrong with your KL1. You just don't have enough juice left in the battery to light it up. When the battery rests for a half second, it recovers enough to blink the light again. Repeat as needed until the user replaces the battery.

SCblur

Enlightened
I never had this happen w/ my KL1 on either one or two cells. How many cells are you using? I'd call SF to see if this is normal, but I've never heard of it before.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
As the cells are run down, the light goes out of regulation. Flickering is normal at the end of life of the cells. The cells gets spent, light goes out. The cells recover, light turns on... Just consider this "feature" a sign to tell you when to change out the 123's.

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's running on 1 cell (it's an E1L). It sure seems to me that once it drops out of regulation and it's direct drive, shouldn't it just get progressively dimmer. After all, if I'm in a completely dark room and it just quits, I'd hardly consider that a 'feature' to let me know when I need a new battery.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Valpo Hawkeye said:
It's running on 1 cell (it's an E1L). It sure seems to me that once it drops out of regulation and it's direct drive, shouldn't it just get progressively dimmer. After all, if I'm in a completely dark room and it just quits, I'd hardly consider that a 'feature' to let me know when I need a new battery.

I'd send it back to Surefire then.