Duracell vs. Energizer Alkailanes?

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Duracell seems to sell for just a bit more than Energizer, and fewer stories of leaking. I also looked at that thread with performance graphs, and Duracell was slightly ahead.

Any comments? I am interested in both AA and D.

Bullseye00

Newly Enlightened
In the Spring of 2005, I did some endurance testing with Duracell and Energizer AA and AAA alkaline batteries. I found that I generally got significantly better run times with the Duracell batteries, as much as 20% in some cases.
I've had both Duracell and Energizer batteries leak, but only when they were completely drained or left in a device for years after their expiration date. I can't remember a single instance of leakage with either brand under normal use.

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just had the bunny **** all over one of my Streamlight ProPoly Lux lights and ruin the reflector.:rant: Less than a year old and stored standing bezel down.

Coppertop or NiMh from now on!:ohgeez:

Last edited:

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for sharing that.

Is it true that while Energizer is made in China, Duracell is domestic, or are they both from over there?

Last edited:

f1rchifi

Newly Enlightened
One thing I can say about energizer, they leak a lot! I have brand new AA Energizers still in the package with expiration dates of 2008 & 2009, some already have corrosion in the terminals.

As to leaking in an appliance like a remote control, energizers leak despite still having power in them. I live in Asia and use batteries bought in the USA and also Energizers made in Singapore, same problem.

Best for me are the Kirkland AA from Costco. So far no problems yet on leakage plus I have some in remotes that have an expiry of 2003 and they still work and are not leaking. I read in one of the threads that they are made by Duracell. Can anyone confirm this?

Robstorch

Newly Enlightened
I frequently get camera equipment to repair and while both will leak I have seen
more duracells leaking than energizers. Really makes a mess but white vinegar will
clean it off nicely.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure of what you actually meant by that, but are you saying that you have never heard of RayOVacc as a battery manufacturer? They're one of the major battery manufacturers in the U.S. and have been for the past century, though with their acquisition of other battery companies it appears that they're in the process of renaming the company to Spectrum Brands. They're an actual battery company, unlike Duracell and Energizer being one of the brands of a conglomerate. Odd to hear of someone not having heard of the company before.

etc said:
I don't recall seeing RayOVac forever, is this some kind of big store brand a la Walmart?

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I see them in Walmarts of this world occasionally but never bought them, thinking it was some kind of cheap poor performance brand.

So, back to question du jour -- in D size, Energizer or Duracell? Or Energizer Industrial?

Last edited:

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
Beamhead said:
I just had the bunny **** all over one of my Streamlight ProPoly Lux lights and ruin the reflector.:rant: Less than a year old and stored standing bezel down.

Bummer..:awman:

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Beamhead said:

The EXACT same thing happened to me just 10 days ago. Weird. I emailed Energizer. They want the light and the batteries, and promise to repair or replace. They even pay for shipping. Have brought the package to the post office today. Will see what this results in.

pilou

Enlightened
Brighteyez said:
...but are you saying that you have never heard of RayOVacc as a battery manufacturer? ...

It is not surprising, as I don't recall seeing a T.V. add for Rayovac in the last twenty years.

In anycase, for those who have Costco membership, look no further for your AA & AAA batteries. Their Kirkland batteries are excellent. The Alkaline shootout on this forum puts them between Duracell's Copper Top and Ultra. That's pretty impressive. But you have to buy them in bulk. The AAs come in a pack of 48, with each set of four wrapped in plastic. The cost is around $9, so they come to roughly less than 20 cents a piece. Not bad, if you ask me.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I keep forgetting that there are people whose exposure may be limited to TVs and/or the Internet. But for people around here, if they've heard of names like Dorcy or Garrity, it's kind of unusual that they haven't had any exposure to a company like RayOVac.

The Kirkland batteries are sold at Costco in 48 packs as you describe, for $9.59, which comes out to exactly 20¢ each for most people.

And more as a generality, the OEMs that Costco uses for their Kirkland branded products tend to pretty good, unlike generic house brands from other stores that tend to be more margin driven than quality driven. They may not be the absolute top-of-the-line, but they're certainly not the bottom of the pile or second-quality products that other stores might market as a house brand.

pilou said:
It is not surprising, as I don't recall seeing a T.V. add for Rayovac in the last twenty years.

In anycase, for those who have Costco membership, look no further for your AA & AAA batteries. Their Kirkland batteries are excellent. The Alkaline shootout on this forum puts them between Duracell's Copper Top and Ultra. That's pretty impressive. But you have to buy them in bulk. The AAs come in a pack of 48, with each set of four wrapped in plastic. The cost is around $9, so they come to roughly less than 20 cents a piece. Not bad, if you ask me.

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
elgarak said:
The EXACT same thing happened to me just 10 days ago. Weird. I emailed Energizer. They want the light and the batteries, and promise to repair or replace. They even pay for shipping. Have brought the package to the post office today. Will see what this results in.

They told me the same so I called Streamlight and SL told me to send it to them. Energizer wanted me to dig through my garbage to get the batteries, then wait 7-10 days for the postage label then 6-7 weeks while they determined what happened. SL told me to send it to them and they would replace it, so mine went out yesterday to SL. FTR I told SL the cells that came with the light leaked, which is true but that may be why they are willing to take care of it.:popcorn:

Empath

Flashaholic
I used to use Kirkland. They were then, and likely now good AA cells. I've abandoned them now;.they and all other alkaline cells other than those that carry the traditional consequential damage guarantee that we (at least in the U.S.A.) have become accustomed. Rayovac, Energizer, Duracell, and the U.S. version of Panasonic all carry a warranty covering repair or replacement of any device damaged by leakage. There may be some others, but they keep it quiet if they do.

To me, that warranty is worth as much or more than the price of the batteries. Kirkland, and nearly all the private labeled and other obscure brands, regardless of quality or value is missing an essential element. Any alkaline, or carbon-zinc cell that you take your eyes off for any extended period of time is an unnecessary risk without that warranty.

Alkaline cell leakage happens regardless, whether it's Duracell, Energizer, Rayovac or whatever. Under ideal conditions none should leak. Ideal conditions though are not always under our control. The steel enclosure reacts with the electrolyte, and if used in a manner that erodes the steel it leaks. To avoid that one needs to remove the cells from devices unused or unmonitored for extended periods of time.

Alkaline cells internally are also fragile, and are compromised by traumatic impact. I've tried finding it again, but have been unable lately, but one of the battery manufacturers actually recommended that any cell that had been dropped on a hard surface or suffered a significant impact should be discarded. Avoiding that problem is a bit more of a challenge. When we buy cells, we've no way of knowing it's history during shipment nor the time it spends at the retailer. When you open a new package of cells, and find one leaking, or notice leakage far sooner than you'd expect from a barely used cell, then you can expect that it has suffered internal damage from impact.

Competition from the major players are going to keep a fairly even leakage control among all the major brands. The need to make the cells in the least costly manner possible will compromise the efforts. A more leakage proof cell is possible, but the costs passed on the users would sharply curtail their presence in the market.

HiltiHome

Enlightened
Duracell AA's sold in Europe are made in Belgium. I never ever had a problem with them.
These are the most relaibly batteries i've ever seen for years. No leakage, no DOA.

Had some Varta cells (made in Germany:)) that leaked a few years ago
and a few Energizer that failed after a short time

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
My experience is a bit different -- I've never had Energizers leak, but have destroyed lights with Duracells several times. Also, I have noticed that Duracells are a tad shorter than other alkaline AA's, or at least they used to be (I have not bought that brand in many years).

Leaking Duracells are what got me into the habit of regularly checking the status and condition of all the batteries in the various devices I have, so maybe some good came out of that.

Pretty obviously, YMMV.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd be inclined to guess that more cases than not, that involve battery leakage are related in part or even primarily to neglect. And quite honestly, I'm just as guilty of it as anyone else. This situation can probably be avoided most of the time by keeping the batteries and their respective flashlight separate if the light is going to spend more time sitting than being used. This would be especially true of lights that are placed into "emergency" kits. Other than cheap no-name brands and stuff bought off of auction sites, the likelihood of batteries leaking in storage are usually pretty slim. And for lights that are left stored with batteries (e.g. in cars); changing the batteries at regular intervals will probably minimize the potential for leakage (not something I necessarily practice all of the time either.)

The way I look at it, that warranty is worthless when your immediate need is for a light rather than a tube full of leaking batteries. The warranty aspect is something that you can only follow-up upon later after the "emergency" is dealt with.

Empath said:
I've abandoned them now;.they and all other alkaline cells other than those that carry the traditional consequential damage guarantee that we (at least in the U.S.A.) have become accustomed. Rayovac, Energizer, Duracell, and the U.S. version of Panasonic all carry a warranty covering repair or replacement of any device damaged by leakage.