Will we ever see a 6 or 7 aa cell configuration?

Raven

Enlightened
It's interesting that just about every configuration imaginable has been either sold commercially or as a boutique model, but never a single stack 6 or 7 aa body.

I'd image it to be perfect for many situation. Outfitted with a nice Lux III, and good reflector, it would offer nothing less than a disgustingly sweet run time, coupled with a nice balance and heft.

It would be a great light for women, children, or your glove compartment, etc.

Last edited:

InfidelCastro

Banned
I agree, a really long LED based 6AA Maglite type light would definately make a nice makeshift baton. The 3AA MagLED almost approaches baton status, so 5 cell might even be enough.

The only 6AA configuration I can think of is a Mag85, which of course is not a commercial light.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recounted the cells. 11 2/3 AA is 13.2 V delivered. This would easily be over 1000 lumens so figure ~700 to 750 torch lumens.

The OEM bulb in mine was the CA 717 9.1 V .780 A 7.1 W.

The WA 1166 is running at 26 W or 3.66 times more wattage.

The WA 1166 filament is larger than your P91 so I'm sure mine is floodier than yours. If I get the reflector situation figured out I'll let you know.

Remember mine is designed for PR and yours is designed for SureFire type lamps.

Last edited:

H22A

Flashlight Enthusiast
8AALight.jpg

8AALight-2.jpg

I made this 7AA a while back. Using 1AA MiniM@g extension attached together running DB500 sandwich, IMS27 reflector, with EXL head. I don't think it's pratical for everyday use as the lenght is too cumbersome. But, you get good laugh after showing to your friends:)

Raven

Enlightened
I made this 7AA a while back. Using 1AA MiniM@g extension attached together running DB500 sandwich, IMS27 reflector, with EXL head. I don't think it's pratical for everyday use as the lenght is too cumbersome. But, you get good laugh after showing to your friends.

That's a nice light!

I disagree with you, though.

I think a 6 or 7 AA configuration would be ideal under some circumstances.

H22A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Raven said:
That's a nice light!

I disagree with you, though.

I think a 6 or 7 AA configuration would be ideal under some circumstances.

I agree with you when it is purposely built to accept 7AA, but mine is not and it is quite fragile :(

coyote

Flashlight Enthusiast
my buddy has that Cold Steel 7xAA made 10-15 years ago. built like a tank, was designed as a personal defense baton.

problem was the puny PR2 light they originally installed in it put out was a terrible dim yellow ringy beam, so i modded his with a SMJLED-PR2. i then built a 5-cell dummy so the whole thing runs on 2xAA. brighter, whiter (though a bit blue to my tastes), and tuff as nails, that mike jordon/lambda led was the simplest answer.

i couldn't talk him out of it or i would have had the perfect modding shell for a nice lux mod.

but at least now he has a useable light along with his baton (BTW, he keeps it on his dashboard, ready for action).

too bad Cold Steel doesn't make them any longer. maybe we should start bugging them to do so...