Energizer folding 2 LED light at Target

goldenlight

Enlightened
As I always do, I checked out the flashlight section at the local Target. A lot of LED lights I didn't recognize, including one with 27 LED's, running off 3 AAA cells. Looked like it belonged on Ebay. Still, more LED lights is a good thing.

Hanging on a peg were 3 of the discontinued (I believe) 2 LED folding mini 'lanterns' which use 4 AA cells and claim 200 hours runtime. They switch fom off to one, or both LED's. Great for power outages, to leave lit in the bathroom. No idea where they came from. No tag on the end of peg, either. And I've never seen them in a Target store before.

Strange. I haven't seen one in years. Walmart had them for quite awhile. I never firgured why they weren't just direct drive off 3 AA cells, instead of resistored with 4 cells.

Still can't bring myself to spend $25 plus sales tax for a 2 cell mini LED M*glight. If I could be assured of a decent tint emittor, I might go for it. But I'm sure a *lot* of them are very green. :sick2:

paulr

Flashaholic
The folding lanterns are great and you should have bought some. I want a few. How much are they at target?

Last edited:

glockboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a new one, double the brightness of the old one, same run time.

goldenlight said:
Hanging on a peg were 3 of the discontinued (I believe) 2 LED folding mini 'lanterns' which use 4 AA cells and claim 200 hours runtime.

mtnwalker

Newly Enlightened
I got one at BigLots for $3. Low setting has both LEDs lit, just a bit dimmer than high setting. Not a big difference between low and high, makes a good nightlight, plenty of light to keep you from tripping over the dog...

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a great light. We've owned one for years. If the new ones use the new "twice as bright leds", then they would be great indeed. Great for camping, great for power failures.

ADDICTED2LITE

Newly Enlightened
If anyone can get one of these, I would gladly pay you to ship me on or two. There is no target or any other store that has these within 100 miles of me.

MojoLight

Newly Enlightened
I have several of these and like them pretty well also. I've found them recently at Office Depot or Office Max (can't remember which one). Yep, I look for flashlights anywhere I go.:)

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
Old type: switch marked II_0_I
II -- both LEDs
0 -- off
I -- one LED

New type, what markings distinguish it, especially visible when still in packaging?
(new ones have both LEDs on all the time, bright or dim, and are brighter -- right?)

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I love these things. Also got a spare at Big Lots last year. In fact, this was my second LED light (after the Dorcy Cool Blue) found at WalMart probably some time in 2001, way before finding CPF.

Geoff

mtnwalker

Newly Enlightened
I don't know if mine is considered old or new. Low or high either way has both LEDs activated, just different brightness. Mine is marked with a "bright" starburst for hi-setting, and a "normal" starburst for lo-setting. It uses symbols rather than I or II.

jburgett

Newly Enlightened
I have two, and they are wonderful for blackouts, as they have a loooooooong runtime.

They also have a hanging "tab" that you can attach to a neck lanyard, or even on a button on your shirt. The flood beam is very very smooth. I sometimes use it for reading in bed, the 4AA pack sits flat on your chest, and you can angle the light easily.

I also use one to sit on the top of the DVD player, and I can angle the beam over the edge to see the labels on the disks. (We always watch movies in the dark using the projector)

A very good value!

Empath

Flashaholic
A way to tell the new one, besides the brighter LED, is in the dim mode. The older ones gave you dim by using only one side. The new one uses both sides for both modes, and dims the LEDs.

thelightdude

Newly Enlightened
There are 3 generations of this light.

The first generation used 1 or both led's for high and low.

The second generation used both led's but had a high and low setting.

The third generation I just got at Target looks like the second generation except the package says twice as bright - and it is significantly brighter than the first and second generation.

I have no idea what kind of led's are used. I have one of all three generations. The case is exactly the same on all three. The switch symbols are as marked in the above posts.

watt4

Enlightened
in case someone doesn't know what they look like:

foldingled016gw.jpg

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
...a HIGHLY ENDORSED little power outage light for the price. EXCELLENT for sure!!

Last edited:

goldenlight

Enlightened
I thought these were discontinued. I have the 1st generation. I didn't look closely at the packaging on the ones I saw at Target, since I though they were NOS (new old stock). Perhaps I'll see tomorrow if any are left, and pick one up to do a comparison. They were 7 or 8 dollars, which is about what's left in my budget for the month, and I wouldn't mind having another one.

thelightdude

Newly Enlightened
Do a search on this thread (led) for previous posts about this light before you go to Target to buy a new one. One CPF member stated both the newer and olders ones were on the same peg.

I seem to remember the package stated either 2x brighter or premium nichia on it. If it doesn't say either one of these things on the package it is the older model.

I found out about the newer model (third generation) from these previous posts.

NickBose

Enlightened
We don't have this light here in Australia. How's the brightness comparing to the Osram Golden Dragon Lantern? I guess it must be far dimmer?
I'm also interested in knowing how they spread the light to make this useful as a flood or area light.

goldenlight

Enlightened
NickBose said:
We don't have this light here in Australia. How's the brightness comparing to the Osram Golden Dragon Lantern? I guess it must be far dimmer?
I'm also interested in knowing how they spread the light to make this useful as a flood or area light.

They are considerably dimmer than an Osram. To diffuse the light the the 2 LED are positioned at the base of two small translucent tubes, against a white background. It does a good job of generating an area light from 2 5mm LEDs. Hard to gauge the output against the Osram, which generates a 360 degree output, vs. the Energizer 180 degree. But it's quite dim, at least half as bright as the Osram at low power. Not much light, but enough when your eyes are dark adapted in a dark room.