If I buy a KL3 head which version will I most likely get?

fire-stick

Enlightened
If I buy a KL3 head for my (soon to be) C3 which version will I most likely get?

The one that has the long throw?

I'm still kind of confused on this subject of different versions of the KL3. If I buy one will it most likely be the flood light one or the one with the glass lens and the long throw..

Which version is the one that has the really long throw (like on FLR.com)http://flashlightreviews.com/reviews/surefire_kl3gen2.htm

Thanks

Scott

Flashdark

Enlightened
fire-stick,

KL-3, Generation 1, has the multiple cooling fins around the body. Nothing else looks like it.

KL-3, Generation 2, version 1, looks like the KL-5, has the pencil-beam, TIR optic, and a tapered base, ala KL-5.

KL-3, Generation 2, version 2, is exactly the same except that the base has been squared off (probably to differentiate it from the KL-5).

KL-3, Generation 2, version 3, is exactly the same except that it has the concentric rings visible in the face of the optic, that spread the beam out for a little more spill, at a small expense of the throw capability. I have this version and I like it. In addition, I "skin" it with an F-70 "slimline" beamshaper filter and this gives me everything, distance and flood.

Make sure that you specify the version desired. Try "John" @ lighthound.com. He was very helpful with this request for me.

Hope this helps,
Flashdark sends.

Flashdark

Enlightened
Raven,

Surefire, no, but you can bet that all of the variants are available, sitting on dusty shelves, somewhere. Just call around to all of the dealers until you find what you want. I would bet that you eventually will.

Hope this helps,
Flashdark sends.

Raven

Enlightened
Ha, I almost used the dusty shelf reference, myself.

My concern would be accidentally getting anything other than the 2.3 version, but I think I'll be ok.

Coincidentally, anyone know who has the best prices on KL3 heads?

tetranitrate

Newly Enlightened
I think I saw a version 1 at Cabelas. That thing looked huge and painted (probably cheaper annodizing, not the standard HA coating). I was wondering if it was even a genuine surefire.

cy

Flashaholic
don't do it... get a KL5. assuming you are getting HA nat.

Flashdark

Enlightened
fire-stick,

Get the latest version with the concentric rings in the optic.You will still have a pencil beam that MUST be flooded out with an F-70 "slimline" or an FM-64 regular beamshaper filter but it will be a little better than the head without the concentric rings.

Hope this helps,
Flashdark sends.

fire-stick

Enlightened
The KL-3 doesn't get more output when used on 3 cells right?? Just longer runtime. What about the KL-5? Does it get more output or just longer runtime? Any body know what the runtime would be if the KL-5 was put on a 3 cell light?

Scott

Paladin

Enlightened
fire-stick said:
What about the KL-5? Does it get more output or just longer runtime? Any body know what the runtime would be if the KL-5 was put on a 3 cell light?

Scott

IIRC Surefire claimed an hour of regulation with 2 cells, and 1.5 hrs. on 3 cells. In effect, there is NO real runtime benefit, because you are still burning a cell every half hour worth of run time. The extra bulk of a 3 cell body may or may not appeal to you. Surefire customer service is still telling users 3 cell useage is "OK", although some have reported their lights cannot handle the higher voltage.

Paladin