Front-Click Light for Mom?

hellosimon

Newly Enlightened
I'd like to get my Mom something better than the usual cheapo 2xC lights she keeps around the house and in her car for blackouts, etc.

- uses commonly available batteries: AA, C, D, AAA
- preferably lithium AA for long shelf life
- click switch in front; she doesn't like tail switches
- switch should be on/off only; no hi/lo/flashing modes to confuse her
- reliable
- waterproof or at least water resistant
- only needs to be bright enough for indoor use
- under $50

I got a Dorcy 3AAA Luxeon (www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/dorcy_luxeon.htm) from Target a while ago, but she disliked having to cycle through the flashing mode to turn the light off.

Looking around FLR, I came across the Streamlight Tasklight Luxeon (www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/streamlight_tasklux.htm) which uses 3 AA's and is not very bright but probably OK. It's a little long but I haven't found too many other lights that fit the criteria.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Sharpdogs

Enlightened
You could go with one of the Coast Tactical lights but they have an extra feature, with the red LEDs, so it would not be as simple a click on/off. Check out some of the Dorcy 2xD models. My in-laws have two of the models below. Original I thought they cheap pieces of junk, but after handling them and using them I was impressed. They are simple to use, bright and rugged. I think they bought the Dorcy lights at Costco. For the price you pick her up 3-4 and put them around the house.

Coast V2 Tactical
https://edcdepot.com/merchantmanager/product_info.php?cPath=5&products_id=78

Dorcy 2 D
http://www.dorcy.com/products.aspx?c=2

NightHiker

Newly Enlightened
I say it all the time, but i think an SMJLED in a decent 2AA or 2D host would fit the bill here. If you used a 2AA host, you could put lithiums in there too.

fleegs

Enlightened
You could look at the princeton tec 40. They also have an LED version. I would recommend her keeping the princeton tec blast in her purse. Around 15 lumens and runs on two AAAs.

Best of luc,
rob

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Mod some 2xD cheapo lights from WalMart....phisically that's what she is used to!

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Long John said:
What's about a 2C/D Led-Mag?

Best regards

____
Tom

I second that.

The 2C Mag with LED drop-in has a nice form factor, and should have long runtime as well. Just keep some extra bats around. This is what I gave to my monster-in-law.

If you must have lithiums, then go with the Mag 2AA. Sure, you give up the clicky, but most people know how to turn on a minimag.

Bob

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
You did not say how old your Mom is. I will assume senior citizen.

My parents are in their 80's and do not adapt well to new things. We all could suggest an endless list of cooler, brighter, newer technology lights. The fact is, that if there is one little thing that they do not like or do not really understand it will be useless. Twisty heads or twisty tails are foreign and frustrating. They will revert to the $1.49 plastic grocery store light every time.

I will pile on to the Mag choice. Familiar form factor, rugged and water resistant. The batteries and battery changing are "normal". Batteries available anywhere.

The 2C might be a good choice for size and weight. The new Mag LED's might be a good choice, although I have no personal experience with them.

Mark

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well stated, Flash.

I do have one gripe with the Mag 2c: a tricky tailcap.
I have gery strong hands, and have found myself struggling a bit when replacing the bats because the spring tension is very high. You really have to push hard and guide the tailcap until the threads engage securely. Even turning the tailcap requires some dexterity and strength.
All of my Maglights (2D, 3D, 2C) exhibit this issue.

Maybe the spring could be tweaked to decrease the tension...?

Oracle

Newly Enlightened
For the requirment; a light to be used very infrequently during power failures, why so many recommendations for an LED mag instead of just a krypton bulb?

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mod some 2xD cheapo lights from WalMart....phisically that's what she is used to!

Sounds like the ideal solution to me. No new fangled devices to confuse your mum, just a familliar light that she is used to with the added bonus of a good beam and great runtime.

CFU

bfg9000

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd just fill every "usual cheapo 2xC" light she already has with a PR SMJLED and call it a day. No learning curve, and even the partially depleted batteries already in them will work just fine.

That 3AAA Dorcy model hasn't had a flashing mode for over a year now, though for 1w Luxeon on alkalines, AA is really the way to go.

Lowes sells the 3AA Taskforce 1w Luxeon for just $8.97; it's rubberized with a side clicky.

hellosimon

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the ideas, everyone.

I've realized that sticking w/familiar form factors would be best for her. I'll do an inventory of the 1 or 2 flashlights she already has and then see about modding them.

Bror Jace, thanks for pointing out the other thread - some great ideas there, including having several flashlights throughout the house and installing auto-on power outage lights.