Has anyone ever used the flashing mode on their light

Sharpdogs

Enlightened
I have a few flashlights that have the SOS flashing mode. While it's a neat feature I have never used it. Has anyone here used there's in a real life situation.

Northern Lights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have never used it, I have never encountered it or heard of it being encountered by others, I work in the public safety sector.

But I plan to use it as a feature with a modified light. The new techniques for blood trail tracking usually use a blue or standard white LED (which is rich in blue) and red LED run simultaneously. The red jumps out and other colors are subdued. A CPF advertising vendors builds a version and the red LEDs flash. The optical illusion is that the blood red jumps out flashing at you 3 dimensional from the back ground. I have tested it with my flashing LED head lamp with red filters and of all things red and blue key chain lights from DAE superglued back to back. It works! So my hunting equipment now has the flashing red lights as I have more than once tracked trails by night.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Sharpdogs,

I have never used the SOS mode, but use the flashing mode while camping.

We mark our campsite with a flashing light while taking night hikes or kayak outings. This makes it a little easier to locate after star watching.

I have also used the flashing mode on my Big D to illuminate the rear end of a car that was sticking out in the road. It was a dark night and the car had experienced a battery explosion. None of their warning lights were operational.

Tom

Sharpdogs

Enlightened
I like idea of keeping one in the car. Sort of an emergency signal but without using a road flare. I will probably throw a Super Bright in each car. They have the magnetic clip so I can easily hook it to the hood, trunk, etc. Thanks Silverfox.

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last night my son wore my 24/7 on the back of his shirt as he rode his bike around the campsite near dusk, there was absolutly no mistaking where he was.

David_Web

Newly Enlightened
Northern Lights said:
I have never used it, I have never encountered it or heard of it being encountered by others, I work in the public safety sector.

But I plan to use it as a feature with a modified light. The new techniques for blood trail tracking usually use a blue or standard white LED (which is rich in blue) and red LED run simultaneously. The red jumps out and other colors are subdued. A CPF advertising vendors builds a version and the red LEDs flash. The optical illusion is that the blood red jumps out flashing at you 3 dimensional from the back ground. I have tested it with my flashing LED head lamp with red filters and of all things red and blue key chain lights from DAE superglued back to back. It works! So my hunting equipment now has the flashing red lights as I have more than once tracked trails by night.

Thanks for sharing that. Just tested and it's pretty awsome
Need to find a good red led and flashing thingy.
Nite-Ize IQ with red leds?

Last edited:

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
I often dangle my EternaLight ErgoMarine in blink mode on the back of my knapsack when biking home from work at night. Drivers can see you from afar and give you lots of breathing room as they pass. Makes me feel much safer. Most of the light is directed down at the pavement, but there's still lots of spill to let drivers know you're there. Definitely recommended.

postalguy

Newly Enlightened
I'm waiting until I'm stranded at sea at night and trying to signal the Coast Guard helicopter. I hope this thing really is waterproof:)

Last edited:

paulr

Flashaholic
SilverFox said:
Hello Sharpdogs,

I have never used the SOS mode, but use the flashing mode while camping.

We mark our campsite with a flashing light while taking night hikes or kayak outings. This makes it a little easier to locate after star watching.

I have also used the flashing mode on my Big D to illuminate the rear end of a car that was sticking out in the road. It was a dark night and the car had experienced a battery explosion. None of their warning lights were operational.

Tom
A flashing light would annoy the heck out of me if I were star watching, but yeah I've also thought of using a flashing light for signaling in case of a car problem. I have a cheap 3aaa headlamp with a flashing mode and might chuck it in the glovebox along with the PT Surge that's in there now. A headlamp is a lot better for fixing the car with too :)

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Paul,

:) Twinkle (flash), twinkle (flash) little star (flash, flash, flash)... :)

We are usually quite a distance away and often out of sight of the light. It is amazing how difficult it can be to pick out your campsite while kayaking on a dark night.

We have also used (in calm weather on a lake) the Heliotek with a zip loc bag on the head as a marker wand. The Heliotek is water proof and will float head up. In salt water the current will carry it away, but it is fun to watch it float away from the shore. Of course you have to take the boat out to retrieve it.

The things flashaholic's do to entertain themselves (and others) at night...

Tom

83Venture

Enlightened
I like having the option available. Especially if broken down along the road. I have used the "Dazzle" mode on the EternaLight. On Halloween I open the mail box and put the light inside and put a mask over it, works pretty well.

Sometimes put them in carved pumpkins or plastic Jack-O-Lanterns when we are camping.

Paladin

Enlightened
Shadow (lab mix, i.e. 1% lab, 99% pitt bull) and I hiked a couple of miles tonight at the State park, and I was packing some heavy duty photonic cannons.

But the Deer loved the Gladius in Strobe mode. It was easy to spot their eyes even behind thick brush, as the strobe caused them to sparkle like emeralds. It was a very cool effect, like seeing a bunch of demonic dolls eyes out it the forest! Or a herd of short zombies (their eyes glow yellow). And they would not look away or run from it, just stared in fascination.

At any time I expected a Ranger to show up and tell me to stop, but they never did. Unless they ask me to quit using it the Gladius and it's Strobe mode should provide lots of fun on future night hikes.

Paladin