Hybrid lights Xenon/LED

Coop57

Enlightened
I have quite a few high power Xenon and several LEDs lights. For my work I have a need for both a throwy spot and close up task light. Yes I know you can't have the best of both worlds. Let me hear your input on your favorite hybrid lights.No need for colored light just white.
Thanks,
Coop

highorder

Enlightened
I am currently evaluating the SL night-com.

the Incan wont focus to a nice spot, but it is acceptable. it appears to be slightly dimmer than a P60 with fresh primaries. the high red LED's are handy and bright enought to walk with in total darkness.

the feature I really like is the low power red LED. it offers enough light to read by from about 8 inches ( with dark adjusted eyes in a car), without even being noticed by the driver. the selector switch is not as simple or slick as a staged tailcap, but again, is acceptable.

bottom line, for the price ($35.00) the light does everything it claims to.

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a few Streamlight Twin Tasks that take two 123 lithiums, got them for everyone in my family and both vehicles several years back. Has 3 leds and one xenon, the leds are a little on the purple/blueish side and the xenon is white. The led's work nicely for getting around and close up work, the xenon for a little more oomph. Got them from Brightguy several years ago.
http://www.brightguy.com/detail_int.php?Sku=STR51015

I like them, I mean they put out decent enough light in both modes. If your not into 123 lithium primaries, the same light can be had in AA, C and D models. I think they are worth a look.

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only hybrid I own is a Gordon copy of the Streamlight TwinTask 3C. You can grab one for about $10 when they're on sale.

It has four modes: 3 LED, 6 LED, 1 xenon lamp, or off. I find the 6 LED mode to be no brighter than the 3 LED mode, but maybe that's just me. The LEDs are lightly blue, but actually pretty good all things considered. The xenon is quite a bit more yellow than I'd like, but maybe the included C cells are garbage. I've not yet had a reason to replace the batteries.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Wolf Eyes and Pila lines of incan/led lights are top performers and are well regarded. Using li-ion rechargeables, they have powerful incan output and long running led for up close. I have several.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
You'll find many CPFers who are immensely satisfied with their Surefire A2s. The A2 has three LEDs for close-range tasks, and the FULLY REGULATED incandescent mode is immediately accessible when needed. It's a very well-designed light.

EDIT: Future threads about hybrid lights should probably go in the Electroluminescent/Headlamps/Hybrids subforum.

Last edited:

dragoman

Enlightened
I second the recommendation on the A2. Simply the best light for the money with the regulated incadescent.

I also own a Streamlight Nightcom, and find the beam to be extremely floody, with very little throw.

A2 gets my vote!

dragoman

tanasit

Flashlight Enthusiast

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
yes... the beast II sure looks good to me :p

of course, i wish i had one... don't everyone wished that will happen too?

Somy Nex

Enlightened
It's gotta be my Pila GL4 for me. built like a tank, huge wall of light output from its xenon that still throws farther than the A2, and long running LEDs on the other end, and runs on both primaries and li-ons. i can't ask for anything more =)

The_virus

Enlightened
I honestly don't ever find myself needing incans anymore. I do have the 3AA and 2D version of the Streamlight TwinTask series though. Both are good lights, but personally I barely ever use the incan setting. With the D size you'll run into the same problem that was mentioned with the C size - the "high" setting using more LEDs seems unnecessary. The difference between 5 LEDs and 10 LEDs (for the D size) is minimal; it fills out the spot just a bit more but isn't brighter.

dulridge

Enlightened
If you're in the UK, Maplin is clearing out a TwinTask 3C clone (only 3 LEDs) for £5.97 a go with (alkaline) batteries. I bought quite a few - mostly to give away.

Coop57

Enlightened
The_virus said:
I honestly don't ever find myself needing incans anymore. I do have the 3AA and 2D version of the Streamlight TwinTask series though. Both are good lights, but personally I barely ever use the incan setting. With the D size you'll run into the same problem that was mentioned with the C size - the "high" setting using more LEDs seems unnecessary. The difference between 5 LEDs and 10 LEDs (for the D size) is minimal; it fills out the spot just a bit more but isn't brighter.

Thanks for all the feedback. I have been rethinking my need for a hybrid. The Virus' post above got me to thinking (dangerous/expensive). I may just save up my pennies and get a SF U2 Ultra. With all the brightness settings and the great thow I should have more than enough for my job.

Last edited:

Gatsby

Enlightened
I do still like incandescents for high power throw - the color rendition and cutting power still have a place in my normal use. But I admit that I gave away my SL TT 2L and haven't really missed it. I have other lights that do their respective jobs better for not much more pocket space.

If I ever got an A2 that may, of course, change my mind!

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might want to start with something like the VB-16, Coop57 - it's HA, multi-level, bright, and throwy. It'll also set you back by much fewer pennies than the U2 (it's around $55).

Mikeg23

Enlightened
Handlobraesing said:
if a 3AAA interests you, Target had Xenon/LED combo light on clearance for $8 or so

I've got a cheap light similar to this and the incandescent in it useless compared to the LEDs. I don't know if that is the case with the Target light, but it's something to think about.