What was your first motorcycle?

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
This should be fun. What was your first motorcycle?

Mine was a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Second was a James.

And that should make it clear that I'm not 18 years old.

clarky

Newly Enlightened
Mine:

DSC00279-1.jpg

Last edited:

VWTim

Enlightened
'89 Honda Hawk GT, it was a track bike that was going be returned to street duty when they lost interest. I put it back together minimally to make it just street legal. Been riding it for about 3 years now, 350? days a year.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
My first motorcycle was a Yamaha 65 that I got when I was 11 or 12.
It was an off-road model (no headlights or taillights), but there was a very steep hill between Nowell Ave. and Cordova St. in Juneau AK. at that time; then there was the Dan Moller ski trail (unpaved, but there was a clear area where the trail is), so finding places to ride it was not a problem.

Hornet

Newly Enlightened
I had a 1982 Honda CM450E ended up selling a few years ago after getting a maintance job that requiered me to carry tools I need a trunk to carry tools in as well as the cash to more tools. I realy missed it this summer as the price of gas went up.

Now I am just waiting for my father to get the itch for something new and sell me his Honda 800 shadow. I just love that bike.

I tryed to find a photo I had but i have none here. so off to the net I went this one is Just like mine
http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/006134/
this one is just like dads
http://www.msu.edu/~cohenmat/bike.htm

Edited to add links and fix cc of Shadow

Last edited:

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can you use the term motorcycle liberally? When I was a kid in the 70s, I had a mini-bike with a Briggs and Stratton 5 hp engine. I bought it used already and after a while the clutch went so we put it in "direct drive" mode. You had to lift the rear wheel when starting and likewise when coming to a stop. It was a fun bike and went at least fast enough to outrun the neighborhood bully. I forget what brand it was. My friend had a Honda50 and I sure thought that was the cat's meow.

StevieRay

Enlightened
clarky said:

Clarky,

Is that a Victory? If so, that is my dream bike!

I just got an 06 Honda Shadow Spirit 750.

Picture.jpg

I broke my leg a week after I got it. almost ready to start riding again.

Last edited:

gorn

Enlightened
My first motorized 2 wheeler was a Sears minibike. Then I got a new 68 honda trail 90. I've had a dozen or so bikes since then. Now i'm down to 2 Kawasaki Vforce quads. My next bike is going to be a Thunder Mountain custom. I'm getting it in a couple of months.

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought a used Harley 45 Servicar for $100 when I was in college. I then managed to pick up 2 more Harley 45's that were not working. From the 3 bikes, I got 2 of them running. Then after a couple of years, I was down to only the servicar running. The trike had 3 forward gears and one reverse gear.

I had an old truck radio in the trunk and slung a 12" speaker from the handle bars. I used to pile 4 other guys on the trunk and go to the root beer stand - lots of fun when the car hop tried to figure out where to put the tray.

There were a bunch of us with motorcycles that used to go on beach parties. My 3 wheeler would hold six cases of beer in the trunk in addition to the radio.

Out of all the motorcycles I've owned over the years, that 3 wheeler was the most fun. If I could find something like that today, I'd buy it in a heart beat.

The pictures aren't very good, but the best I could find for something that old.

41hdservicar45cuin750cc_DRF.jpg

servicarmanual.jpg

Last edited:

hburner

Enlightened
My first bike was a Honda 50! I loved that thing! From what I can rember it never had enough light to ride the trails at night so I clamped 2 4 D cell magllights to it until my sisters stole them from it to go on their Honda 70s!

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
You had to ask....

First bike was a 1967 Honda 50. Yep, 50cc 4 stroke with a 3 speed automatic tranny. The frame was a scooter style step through with the gas tank under the seat. It got up to 45 MPH on city streets. That took a slight downhill and the wind at my back.

It also got around 100 MPG. We rode it on the streets as well as the dikes surrounding the salt flats on the SF bay in Redwood city. It did pretty well as a dirt bike, strangely enough.

I had about 2 dozen bikes after that.

Daniel