Star vs emitter isloation

philamint

Newly Enlightened
Let me get this straight....is the star already electrically isolated from it's aluminum heatsink?

Whereas the slug on the emitter is not?

Thanks.

philamint

Newly Enlightened
I think I answered my own question....sorry....looks like they both require isolation, (if using more than one on same heatsink).

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
All Luxeon III stars and Luxeon V stars need isolation if used in series. Lux I stars are electrically isolated.

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
I never even bother with stars when it comes to Luxeon3's in the following colors;
red, red/orange, or amber leds.
These are not even isolated sufficiently for parallel use either for some reason.
I now always go with bare emitters and then put those on Luxeon1 stars after ripping off the Lux1 from it, or lately, just get the blank versions from member Litemania in the dealers' corner part of the forum.

I'm now running 4 seriesed Luxeon3 red/orange leds mounted to ceramic insulated mcpcb stars gotten from litemania, in a 4c Maglite mod, with 3 protected 18650 batteries.
No issues to report yet, except it is really really bright. ;)

Also, all red, red/orange and amber Luxeon1 and Luxeon3 bare emitter leds need electrical isolation of some kind no matter what they are put into.

The other colors seem to be a lot more forgiving to lack of isolation.