Hockey: A People's History on DVD?

PJ

Enlightened
Has anyone been watching the series on CBC (Canadian Television) about the history of hockey? I caught the last 45 minutes of it and looked to see if it was out on DVD to get the set for my brother in Las Vegas. I checked some websites and there are preorders for the first disc. If anyone knows where to preorder the whole set please post it here. One website mentioned that some U.S. sports stations may show the episodes that pertain to U.S. teams and owners.

The show looks pretty interesting. In the part that I did see organizations were just starting to form and the players were getting paid to play. One player was paid something like $5,000 to play 12 games just to get fans to a new league.
Here is a link to the CBC web page about the show.

CBC Hockey series

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't follow hockey, but I remember a story where someone said that hockey was discovered by the Spanish who saw the Native Americans playing a game with sticks and some sort of ball. They kept yelling "ho-gee! ho-gee" while they were playing so the Spaniards called the game "hockey". It turned out "ho-gee" was the natives' word for "ouch"...

mosport

Enlightened
Didn't catch the earlier episodes of , but episode 3 (Empires on Ice) & 4 (The Peope's Game) aired tonight and were well done. Good to see CBC producing quality programming despite all the cutbacks over the years.

If you're still looking, $42 pre-orders for the complete 6 disc DVD set are being filled now and will ship Oct 19 available at the CBC.ca shop.

Waiting for next Sunday's episodes 5 & 6 (National Obsession & The Golden Age) for some material that I can better relate when they'll be devoting segments to the Leafs - Habs rivalry!

:rock:

PJ

Enlightened
I think one of the ads said the book and DVD are available at book and video stores. I don't know if that is for preorders or if its available. Maybe I'll have to check the delays at the Ambassador Bridge and head over to Windsor and look for it.

While I'm there I can check out the "Windsor Ballet" :grin2: I wonder if the Killarney Club is still there? :D

mosport

Enlightened
Guessing that if stores are going to carry the DVD's, the CBCshop.ca will have complete sets available before anyone else. Chapters books already has the hardcover edition for sale if you come across the border, they're pretty much a Canadian version of Barnes and Noble.

Chapter.ca link (If you need a Canadian shipping address, PM me)

Last time I was in Windsor was on Superbowl XL weekend, all of downtown was packed and we ended up at a club so missed the 'ballet' on that trip :whistle: :sssh:

cobra-ak

Newly Enlightened
I love the music intro for Hockey Night in Canada on the CBC, it was exciting probably more so than Monday night football

Latest posts