Best bang for $10!

Abouna

Newly Enlightened
I know it's a bit of a stretch but my 12 year old wants an EDC LED. Not sure what is worth getting for only $10. Used would be OK but most people don't bother selling lights they are only wanting $10 for.

Target has a bunch of River Rock .5w that look OK. Any sufggestions other than that?

MG_Saldivar

Newly Enlightened
Abouna,

I've had great luck with Lighthound's Aluminum AAA, which is about the size of the Arc AAA and only a little less bright. If you want something tougher, and not too far over $10, you could get a Mag Solitaire at Wal-Mart or Target for $5 then drop in the ArcMania LED for $12, also available from Lighthound.

Abouna

Newly Enlightened
OK I guess it's between one of the Chinese multi-LEDs, Nite-Ize or SMJLEDs all from Lighthound (I have an order shipping tomorrow).

Which should it be, which will give the most light?

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is the Ghost II 12LED 1AA light for $7.50 shipped. Target still has the RR 2AAA 0.5W LED light for $10. J2LED has some specials where you can get 2 pretty nice Nuwai 1AA or 1AAA lights for about $25 shipped (note, prices are in Canadian $). I think this 1AA 0.5W LED is about $11 shipped from 5thunit.

The version 1 SMJLED PR bulb is not easily available right now and there may be possible longevity issues with the version II bulb.

Keep in mind that, at 10, there's an excellent chance it will have been lost within 3 months.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you have a Costco membership, take a look at these at 4 for $12.99 with batteries.

Abouna said:
I know it's a bit of a stretch but my 12 year old wants an EDC LED. Not sure what is worth getting for only $10. Used would be OK but most people don't bother selling lights they are only wanting $10 for.

Target has a bunch of River Rock .5w that look OK. Any sufggestions other than that?

The_virus

Enlightened
A stock Dorcy 1AAA is a pretty decent EDC candidate. It's also fairly easy to mod later if so desired. You can also do simple stuff like wrap teflon tape around the threading to increase friction and keep the tailcap in position for momentary useage or whatever position you want it in.

I honestly forget how much an Infinity Ultra costs these days, but that's another great EDC in a slightly more durable package than the Dorcy. It depends on whether this person plans to be rough on their EDC or not.

bfg9000

Flashlight Enthusiast
My very favorite SMJLED host is the AAA Minimag, but that one takes lithiums and costs way over $10.

For $10 the 2AAA River Rock is pretty much unbeatable if penlight size is important, but the rubber Taskforce 3AA at Lowes is bigger (harder to misplace), brighter (1w Luxeon), and cheaper ($8.97 nationwide).

Or there's disposable: http://www.garritylites.com/page71.html

Gadgetman7

Enlightened
I would go with the River Rock or Dorcy from Walmart. These lights are fine just not what we CPFer's are used to getting. All in all decent lights for the money. I've given several away and so far everyone really likes them.

carrot

Flashaholic
The River Rock 0.5w 2AAA is FANTASTIC for the price. It's a little on the bluish side, but still very usable. I highly recommend it. Got one for my mom and another for my dad.

Abouna

Newly Enlightened
Would these be brighter than the Nite-Ize drop in? I tried to tell him that the stock incan is brighter than a 5mm LED, but I guess he'll have to see it to believe it.

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
TinderBox (UK) said:
the second one is called SMJLED2 PR, you want the standard SMJLED PR.

Yes, what Tinderbox said. Also if it has SS in the name that is the newer style version, you'll want the older one. Just leave a note with your order and they should know what you want.

You might wanna go ahead and save some shipping later by ordering one for yourself too now with this order. You'll love them.

2xAA host gets you around 20 hours. A 2D host, much more.

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
Abouna said:
Would these be brighter than the Nite-Ize drop in? I tried to tell him that the stock incan is brighter than a 5mm LED, but I guess he'll have to see it to believe it.

Which are you refering to? The River Rock? I don't have a River Rock but a similar light that uses the same kind of LED (AdvancedMart) and yes, it'll beat a Nite-Ize.

InfidelCastro

Banned
I would go with the River Rock .5W 2 X AAA.

You can't beat them for the money. I used to use one awhile back as an EDC and used it alot for pizza delivery at night and a bit for security work. I still have one in my box at work as a backup light.

discoverEDC

Enlightened
My 2 cents goes for the River Rock, see quickbeams review on flashlightreviews.com, almost 9 hours to 50% on 2 aaa's. I have one and it's a little blue but for $10... I plan on giving three of them for Christmas to male family members. Also, it clips real nice onto the bill of a ballcap, good for close work (jam the bill of the cap to the absolute far end of the clip)

Latest posts