What's your most durable flashlight?

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of all the flashlights you personally own, which one is the most durable? It doesn't matter if it's led or incandescent(although I suspect most will be led), what the runtime is, or what type of batteries it uses, just which one of yours will take a beating and still light up when you turn it on? Of all of mine (over 180 flashlights in my collection), I'd say the Inova X5 is the most durable. No lens to break, recessed led's, durable aluminum body.

So what's yours?

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
My experiences aren't very difinitive but my Nightcutter Sports are really tough for some of the same reasons you like the X5. (I've got a sterile HAIII Nat X5 but I rarely use it -- it's more an object of worship. :D )

The Sports were cheap, independantly tested and probably the shortest 2x123 light ever mass produced. I accidently ran one through a full washing machine cycle and it never took a drop.

JimM

Newly Enlightened
Big_Ed said:
Of all the flashlights you personally own, which one is the most durable? It doesn't matter if it's led or incandescent(although I suspect most will be led), what the runtime is, or what type of batteries it uses, just which one of yours will take a beating and still light up when you turn it on? Of all of mine (over 180 flashlights in my collection), I'd say the Inova X5 is the most durable. No lens to break, recessed led's, durable aluminum body.

So what's yours?
My PT40 took a beating the last time we had some minor flooding to deal with. I had lithium batteries in it which probably gave me longer run time, and made it lighter to carry. I had it on a lanyard around my wrist. It spent enough time in the water and mud, bouncing off rocks, to convince me of its merit.
Jim

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would guess that my Peak Kilmanjaro is the most durable I own. The Elektro Lumens Blaster 1R is built like a tank, but it has the plastic optic and click switch.

carrot

Flashaholic
My Fenix L1P and Minimag AA have taken the most abuse out of every light I own. My A2 has seen some cosmetic damage from dropping it, but nowhere near as much as the L1P and Minimag. I figure the Inova X5 would be able to take a beating, but I've treated it pretty nicely.

Geddinight

Newly Enlightened
I have to say the most durable I've used so far is my first magcharger. I used it everyday for almost 18 yrs until a buddy needed the lens as his broke. He has yet to replace the lens and I keep forgetting to ask him. I just took a new magcharger out of the box and started using it. Both have gone through alot.

My Inova X5 is quite a bit newer and doesn't face as many harsh conditions. I do agree that it looks like it will outlast any light I've seen to date.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I suppose it would probably be my Peak 3LED Matterhorn. This is one of the original models with the recessed LEDs that they had to change due to the similarity to Inovas. Following this might be the old standard Infinity.

Geoff

Led-Ed

Enlightened
My trusty old surefire L4 has been through hell-dropped several times on concrete and dairy brick withstood industrial cleaning solutions , been left on while not in the hand.
I can't really vouch for any other light I have being beaten so excepting my 1st ARC LSL-P which eventually had to be rebuilt after the same use/abuse.

Last edited:

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aside from 2 Kroll switch failures and a few burnt out LEDs in Xnova AA's, I've had no significant flashlight failures. Of the many lights which haven't failed me, the one which took the most abuse was my EDC Dorcy 1AAA (with upgraded LED) which got beat up in my pocket, dropped, and went through a wash and dry cycle once. Never missed a beat (once i had let it dry out).

I don't know the others wouldn't have done as well, they just haven't had the chance yet.

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gotta be the Inova X5T, what's to break on that puppy?

Honourable mention for my trusty old Arc AAA that's just been donated to my younger brother after several years flawless service as my keychain light...I expect he will also get many years out of it..and he has a habbit of maltreating stuff!
biggrin.gif

CFU

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
My inova x5, no question. There are lights I use more, but its the only one that I laugh instead of cringe when I drop it. Because I know it will still work.

pizzaman

Enlightened
Keychain light- ARC AAA

Pocket light- Inova X5T

Full size- 2C MagLED with plastic lens and custom HAIII finish.

TR

AtomSphere

Enlightened
My old C3 (sold) and Q3 are tough buggers.... The C3 didn't break a single P90 filament after extremely rough usage.

My Q3 broke its clip after being thrown on concrete repetatively

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Justrite 4D Headlamp, over 36 years old. Still works, but rarely used these days. Used over more years, and for more cumulative hours, than any other light I currently own. Looks like hell, because it sustained an amazing amount of abuse during its long career.

Several Mags, 2C and 2D versions both, over twenty years old. They look like they've been to hell and back, but they all still work. Still used around the house, but only occasionally these days.

Streamlight Pocketmate 2AAA, about twenty years old. Has seen a lot of rough use, been dropped many times. Still works, although rarely used these days.

Mag Solitaire 1AAA has been on various keyrings for over sixteen years. Still carried daily. Half the anodize is gone. Has been submerged, stepped on, and buried in mud and sand. Has been through washing machines a few times. Carried as a backup to my primary pocket light, that Solitaire has never failed to light when I really needed it. Had to put in a new bulb maybe two or three times in sixteen years.