DIY: Photorejuvenation/LED light therapy

Rootbeer

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone heard of "Photorejuvenation" aka "Light therapy"?

If not then, it's a technology based on basically treating your skin to regrow cells from various problems such as HAIR LOSS to SCARS/ACNE.

Well to make your own device, auto-LED-schematic-diagram software is easy to find anywhere online. All you need is the patience and the parts. It's simply a power source and LEDs.

The normal LEDs are red 660nm, and infrared 800-900nm. Red seems to be said to be the most effective for the hairloss. You have to emit the light into the affected areas for just 15 minutes per day.

Anyways, I would like to be a part of this technology sine I'm dealing with mild hairloss and some skin disorders. I am very cheap and cannot afford to go to those salons out in Southern California that charge per session, and then there are those way over prices units sold on Ebay for $200 and up.

Please check out:
http://www.lightstim.com/

I spoke with one of the "supposed" inventors of that design. I was borderline asking him questionnaire to reveal proprietary information. All I got was that his "impressive" circuit is only a light emitting unit that uses two color sets of RED and two sets of IR in a total of alot of LEDs, I forgot how many.

Sure one can say this technology is pure BS, but that's the lack of trial & research. Pure ignorance! For example, our sun emits rays of UV spectrum as well as an entire spectrum, even infrared to was found. So when astronauts in space were using UV lighting in their spacecraft, later NASA figured out that they also need some Infrared in their light-diet. Our skin/hair grows from various sources, light has something to do with it. The ideal of Photorejuvenation is to speed up the process of what the sun does by focussing on the light-wavelength-bands that stimulate cell growth.

I'm not here to advertise any products, I'd just like to share some ideas and gain some advice. So far, I've put together my own unit I'm still assembling. It cost me a total of $50 to buy somewhat decent/affordable components in bulk.

Bottom line, am I alone here? I doubt it if any guys here cares about any hair loss, or any ladies with facial problems. Sure this is vanity, but when I've gotten to the point where, when, & if I no longer need this device I made, I'll convert it into a Infrared spotlight for security, wildlife viewing, and whatever else related technical hobbies it can apply to.

Sincerely,
user: Rootbeer

Rootbeer

Newly Enlightened
Well I have already read about NASA. Did I miss something? And thanks for pointing that out that link, at least for the viewers here that are unaware of what this technology is all about.

And as for the "fastest growing companies", I read that artical just now. The only thing I might have overlooked was inaccuracies of "light harmonics" from cheaper LED brands mentioned by the expert from LightStim. The only thing bad is less consistancy from such specific inexpensive components. This technology isn't dangerous, it's just light. Maybe you can go blind to the infrared spectrum if you stare at it.

As for "more infrared" I am not a scientist, but both RED and IR are required for this type of skin treatment. I wouldn't know how to measure the sun's output per wavelength bandwidths. But I do know that there are many people who go bald regardless if they spend alot of time in the sun, so maybe focussing a specific amount of a set wavelength close up to the skin where it can be absorbed might count as a big plus.

Snake lights for pet snakes are usually a large bulb with an Infrared filter on it. They wouldn't market these if they didn't have a purpose. Vitamins and the such are somehow obtained from this type of light for snakes and it helps their skin.

Now I'd like to ask those who read this post and those who replied to it, what got you interested in clicking on my statement, and do you have any hairloss or skin flaws you are unhappy with? (if you don't mind)

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
never hear about the skin thing.

BUT i do know, there is a fridge somewhere with "LED sunlight" to get the vegetables to do the 'food thing' photosynthesis or something, so that the vegetables will be fresh for a longer time.

Rootbeer

Newly Enlightened
chesterqw said:

BUT i do know, there is a fridge somewhere with "LED sunlight" to get the vegetables to do the 'food thing' photosynthesis or something, so that the vegetables will be fresh for a longer time.

Hey that sounds really interesting, thanks for sharing that.

sORe-EyEz

Enlightened
chesterqw said:

it's a Mitsubishi... :grin2:

Rootbeer

Newly Enlightened
Interesting! I didn't know they made those. I might actually want one. Anyone here, feel free to bring up more related uses for LED in a DIY sense. Any last calls for "Photorejuvenation"?

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
> Snake lights

Yeah, but you've got this backwards.

Snake lights for pets are ultraviolet light sources, with an infrared-blocking cover to prevent physically burning the snake.

Source:
http://eastyorkvet.com/petpages/pet_reptile.htm
Quote:

"Check these appliances frequently for malfunction and periodically check the snake for evidence of burns because snakes generally do not move away from heat-generating appliances even if they are being severely burned.

Lighting

Ideally, it would be advantageous for all captive reptiles to be housed in such a way that they could be exposed to and benefit from direct, unfiltered sunlight during the daylight hours every day. .... The next best solution is to use an artificial ultraviolet light source rather than fluorescent or incandescent lightbulbs. One or more Vitalites (Duro-Lite Lamps, Duro-Test Corp, Lyndhurst, NJ 07071) should be used to illuminate the enclosure during the daylight hours. ..."

> what got you interested

I look at any health claim threads, because I want to know where they come from, ask for references and citations, and look at the original research behind them.

In the process I see a lot of misinformation posted about light use, some pure hokum, some almost correct, and some actually dangerous. Any actual health use is going to have a patent, a set of clinical trials, and published proof of results. It's always worth asking if those are available when someone's selling something good for what ails you.

Last edited:

NFW

Newly Enlightened
Just in case there's any confusion, the article linked above (at biz.yahoo.com) is just an advertisement (ok, a press release) from a company that sells this stuff. Their ability to market and sell stuff may or may not have anything to do with the effectiveness of the product.

It's funy that there's one post in this thread talking about how light therapy can help with hair loss, while Palomar is advertising their product for hair removal. :) Palomar seems to be using IR to overheat and weaken the follicles, but I do remember reading elsewhere about a device that claimed to treat hair loss with LED lasers. There was so much junk science from the hair-loss-treatment folks that I felt seriously sorry for anyone who might have been tempted. (I won't mention any names until I can get a working link from www.archive.org to back up what I'm talking about.)

Buyer beware. Until/unless there is independent (i.e. peer-reviewed) research to back up such claims, think twice before getting your hopes up, or opening your wallet, for a commercial product.

I'm all for homebrew experimentation in the meantime though! That's got all kinds of side benefits totally unrelated to medicine. :)

Rootbeer

Newly Enlightened
As for a snake light. The only thing I ever dealt with was when a friend of mine over seas had a snake business for exotic reptiles etc. He told me that he had infrared spot lights for the snakes after I told him about IR-photorejuvenation. Maybe he misunderstood what his equipment was. Then after taking his direct word for it, I did a simple search on Ebay for just Infrared light only, then I found some snake lights at the time. Sure they could have been labelled wrongly as usual on Ebay searches. But I do know that there is IR emitted from sunlight according to some textbooks claim(s).

I wouldn't rule out the possibilities of hair or skin restoration just yet. Let's all do some more research here, that's why I posted this thread, and that's why I'm guessing you're replying/reading it (completely without any fingers pointed at all within this forum) unless you're some ego-minded bulley type that gets jollies off of busting one's chops to overcompensate for an area of previous lacking. again: (completely without any fingers pointed at all within this forum)

Back to the point. Lasers can burn and so can lots of light depending on it's intensity, design purpose etc. With photorejuvenation, we're only talking about 15 minutes a day with simple LEDs with only enough output to light the skin. The claims are safe and usually guaranteed. How far do we really need to look into the precautions?

Last edited:

Rootbeer

Newly Enlightened
Great thanks AdamW. And I forgot to mention the LLLT (Low Level Laser Light Technology) and the LED uses for hairloss. They normally use RED light about 650/660nm wavelength. None of the brands are using infrared in the hair, but just for the face. These units, some of the brands "are compliant USA FDA & CDRH"!

I hope that helps. If you're interested in saving your skin, they use anything for various layers such as RED for the main blood flow, BLUE mainly acne, GREEN/YELLOW etc for various pigment problems. One brand cuts all the BS and sticks strictly with the RED & IR just for facial use.