I thought the Surefire M2 was shock resistant?

Danbo

Enlightened
My Surefire M2 accidently got knocked off the waist high nightstand(maybe a couple of feet) next to my computer and landed on the concrete floor. The bulb had to be replaced. What gives? I thought these lights had a shock resistant bezel?

Last edited:

Size15's

Flashaholic
Bulbs break. This is uncharacteristic performance based on my experience and the feedback I've gathered. I am confident that the replacement (you did call SureFire and explain what happened right?) will perform better.

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
what the sigline shrin...i mean the above said :)

lol if i was the representative talking to you on the phone i will say
" well...it was meant to withstand recoil and impact, not a fall. get it? recoil and impact not fall.*click*"
that will be dumb won't it?

i wonder if surefire has some guy like that talking to you on the phone.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
chesterqw said:
what the sigline shrin...i mean the above said :)

lol if i was the representative talking to you on the phone i will say
" well...it was meant to withstand recoil and impact, not a fall. get it? recoil and impact not fall.*click*"
that will be dumb won't it?

i wonder if surefire has some guy like that talking to you on the phone.

Actualy, that's not too far off.:ohgeez: The M series have a rubber piece that takes up the extra room in the head. Notice that the heads of these lights are longer than their counterparts? This is so when the light is on a firearm, and it recoils, the rubber in the head compacts toward the bezel giving the lamp assembly some cushion. Now, if you had just dropped it right smack on the bezel, your lamp would be just fine.:candle:
Call Surefire anyway.
I've used a M3 on a tactical shotgun for several hundred rounds (slugs and buck) and never had the lamp go out. I'll be careful of the nightstand though, now that I know about it!:grin2:

lightemup

Flashaholic*
For Curiosity's sake, did you have the P60 or P61 bulb in the M2 at the time? In my experience the P61 bulb is a bit more resilient than the P60 (I think because the filament is thicker?). I run p61's in all my 6v Surefires, but its mainly for the brightness :)

Danbo

Enlightened
lightemup said:
For Curiosity's sake, did you have the P60 or P61 bulb in the M2 at the time? In my experience the P61 bulb is a bit more resilient than the P60 (I think because the filament is thicker?). I run p61's in all my 6v Surefires, but its mainly for the brightness :)

Pretty sure it was the P60, as it was taken straight out of the box and used. I had to put the P61 bulb in then, as it was the only one I had.

Update: I sent surefire an email, describing the situation, and they have replied that they will send me a replacement P60 bulb out right away. Hmm, I wonder how or why they automatically assumed I was using and needed a P60 bulb? Oh well, I'll be happy to get anything. :)

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remember, with X amount of runtime on a bulb, it will go out by itself eventually. Even if you take good care of it, Y amount of runtime + some amount of impact could potentially reduce the life of the bulb.

Just saying. It sounds like your M2 is fairly new, so good idea to call Surefire anyway. They should hook you up.

Last edited:

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
Size15's said:
Bulbs break. This is uncharacteristic performance based on my experience and the feedback I've gathered. I am confident that the replacement (you did call SureFire and explain what happened right?) will perform better.

My 6p fell just shy of 3 feet onto a tile floor and died and the Surefire rep that I emailed and discussed it with refused to replace it, saying that bulbs were not warrantied, regardless of how new. I had a new P90 instaflash on new batteries, called them and was assured that they would send a replacement out as soon as they had them in stock and that was over two years ago and maybe 6 phone calls.

Knight Lights

Enlightened
revolvergeek,

Your experience is not representative of my experience! Surefire has replaced multiple lamps for me that didn't meet my expectations, ie.

A2 lamp that died 2 weeks into use:
P60 that instaflashed:
P91 that lit but was dull compared to a P90:

They also replaced my brother in laws A2 lamp when it stopped working. First we changed the cells, thinking that it was bad cells, but 2 new Surefire cells didn't revive it, so they sent out a new lamp. Turns out the cells, obtained through a military source, were the problem! He essentially got a new lamp for free. When we called to tell them it was the cells, they said keep the lamp!

He finally backtracked and found out the cells weren't new, but used. A military supply guy was storing the cells in the boxes they came in until they could be properly destroyed and it turns out that somebodies "dog robber" had found them and assumed them to be new.

Bill