How to avoid trashing the leftover pieces of bathroom soap!

luxlover

Banned
I have an usual question for all of you boys and girls who use deodorant soap to keep squeaky clean.....

I have been accumulating the leftover pieces of deodorant bathroom soap bars in a plastic container for years. It is overflowing at the moment. Does anybody know how to salvage the little pieces, such as melting them into the shape of another bar of soap, etc? It is not really a bad idea. I am not poor, but it bothers me that when a bar gets too small to handle it has to be tossed in the trash.

atm

Enlightened
I knew someone that put the leftover pieces in an old stocking (and tied it tight I think) so they could use in a similar fashion to a normal bar of soap.

Andrew

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
switch to body wash so you don't have that problem :D...

however, growing up my dad just pushed the small sliver into the new bar... it work pretty well :whistle:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Wow. There really is another person as cheap (or peculiar) as me. What I have done is wrap a handful of soap chips in some plastic wrap and twist it shut like a bag. I then put that into a little plastic cup, and put that in the microwave. Now very slowly heat it. I mean really slow, or if you use high power like only long enough (<5 sec) to soften it. Too much and it bubbles out wrecking the little bag. When soft just squeeze in your hand or push into the plastic cup to mold it. Probably warming in an oven would work just as well, but remember the plastic wrap or it won't come out of the cup easy.

I've been doing this for awhile with soap chips from the shower. My wife just shakes her head.

Geoff

pathalogical

Enlightened
Put a bunch of them into the blender with a bit of water until it becomes the consistency of liquid soap, then pour it in a soap dispenser.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use the pieces until they're too small to hold anymore. Then I either lose them in the shower or just wash them down the drain.

ibcj

Enlightened
When the piece gets small and thin, mold it to the new bar. It will hold to the new bar and get used. I've had good success with it.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is an inexpensive synthetic fabric pronounced TOOL (like a toolbox). I don't have any idea how to spell it. Cheap bath scrubbers are often made out of it. It's like a plastic netting. Just get one of those scrubbers for less than a dollar at Wallgreens, take it apart and make a small sack (2x3" with a drawstring.)

Put some of your little pieces of soap inside and tie the top shut. Then wash with it as though it were a bar of soap. It's what they make scrubbers out of, anyway. Since it's a synthetic material it will just dry out between uses -- instead of getting moldy or smelly.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I just squeeze the pieces into a ball or add them to the next bar and use them. Then again, I only use Ivory (I'm allergic to anything with fragrance) which is pretty easy to do that with, especially when wet. Most deodorant soaps are somewhat harder to squeeze together. That being said, for me a bar of soap is pretty small before it's unusable (around the half inch size-usually multiple pieces from the same bar).

Sixpointone

Enlightened
While I do not have an exact answer, I will say that is one of the reasons which prompted me to switch over to a body wash.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you use same type of soap (brand,type/flavour) for lets say 2 - 3 times.. what i would normally do is stick older one over the new one... nothing is wasted... and when it's time to switch soap to different type, some times i throw down the drain or i enjoy 'coktail' for a few days :p

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
nystrpr said:
When the piece gets small and thin, mold it to the new bar. It will hold to the new bar and get used. I've had good success with it.

Yep. Wait until the end of your shower so both are wet and soft, mold the small piece onto the new bar. After it drys out it should be stuck on there well enough to stay put.

-john

Zigzago

Enlightened
When I was a child I saw a gadget at my grandmother's house that consisted of a small wire basket with a door mounted on a wooden handle. I asked her what it was and she said they put leftover soap pieces in there. They could then shake it in the water when washing dishes or clothes. She raised her family during the great depression and had many ways to stretch a dollar.

I guess this wouldn't work too well for using deodorant soap in the shower. :)

Last edited:

luxlover

Banned
jtr1962 said:
I just squeeze the pieces into a ball, or add them to the next bar and use them. Then again, I only use Ivory (I'm allergic to anything with fragrance) which is pretty easy to do that with, especially when wet. Most deodorant soaps are somewhat harder to squeeze together. That being said, for me a bar of soap is pretty small before it's unusable (around the half inch size-usually multiple pieces from the same bar).
Does one have to heat up the pieces in order for them to be soft enough to combine with another piece and eventually become a big piece?

I am working on your long pm, Joe. Sit tight, but hang loose!

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Push em into a empty liquid soap dispenser and fill with water. Now you have a hand soap that you can leave next to the sink.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
luxlover said:
Does one have to heat up the pieces in order for them to be soft enough to combine with another piece and eventually become a big piece?
luxlover said:

Not with Ivory, but it might help with typical deodorant soaps.

I am working on your long pm, Joe. Sit tight, but hang loose!

No problem. I'll clear out some older PMs to make room. :grin2:

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
What I do is save several of the smal pieces of soap and put them in one of those plastic soap dishes (used for travel). Once I have 4 or 5 pieces left over, I put some water in the soap dish and let the small left over pieces to soak till the next day. Then when I use the shower the next day, I take the small left over pieces of soap out of the dish of water. They are pretty soft by then, and just squeeze them together into one bar. The bar will harden if you let it sit out of the water till the following day, so it will then have the same consistency as a new bar.

Illum

Flashaholic
soap into warm water...leave overnight until dissolved ...by tomorrow morning you've got a solution that kills ants faster than poison

Latest posts