Some questions about Peak McKinley

pilou

Enlightened
I am really interested in this light. It seems to have a useful floody beam, semi-decent regulation and runtime, and it can be had in some really nice finishes. Can anyone shed light on a couple of questions?

1. The Peak website explains the difference between the old and new styles: link . So while output and beam pattern are improved, the LEDs in the new style look more exposed to damage, a concern for a pocket/keychain light. Is that really an issue or are the LEDs still protected enough? (I was able to find the old style at a low clearance price, but with a ridiculous shipping charge that evens out the difference between new and old styles).

2. Is the stainless steel finish too smooth to be practical? Or is it no worse than the smooth finish of the Inova Xs?

Thanks.

Galiphrey

Enlightened
I like the McKinley too; though the 5mm cluster is losing popularity... I still like it. :)

1. The older style DOES offer more LED protection. With the new style, I suppose there's a chance that a key or something in your pocket could wiggle in there and scratch an LED... but I really wouldn't worry about it too much. The LEDs are epoxied in there very well, so a little scratch is all that might happen, I guess. To me the benefit of the new style outweighs the risk of damage (there's really not much risk). Remember too that (if memory serves!!!) the regulation circuitry was improved in the new style. So it's not JUST a body style change.

2. Yes, I'd say that it is almost too smooth. And it's a lot heavier. It's very attractive, but IS kinda slippery to hang on to, especially if you get the momentary button. My most recent McKinley has a SS head and momentary switch and HA body. A little knurling helps a lot for grip. Also, the SS body is slightly longer.

Last edited:

InfidelCastro

Banned
I was somewhat interested in a stainless steel McKinley, but lost interest when I realized it doesn't have the knurling of the aluminum HAIII and brass bodies.

I plan on getting a red Ultra Power LED version. It would probably mostly be used around the house and such as a CR123A drainer. Walking in and our the back door with my hands possibly being a little wet.. I don't think I would like the smooth stainless version very much.

On the other hand, if it also had the knurling, I would probably get one.

arty

Enlightened
I have the new style in HA and it has a pocket body. The light is only 2.4 inches long, and thinner than a Fenix L1T. It fits nicely in a coin pocket in jeans.

I haven't carried it any other way so far.

I liked the new one so much - I also ordered the old style. Shipping was $8, so it was still a good deal. I don't know if the new and old style are the same exact size and if the new style bodies will fit the old ones. If you want a tiny light that has good output, you need the new style - or call the dealer to ask. If you prefer a flood and wider beam, the new one has that.

X Racer

Enlightened
Apples and Oranges comparing it to the P1... Its a flood without the spot like a P1. Its much more like an Inova X5...

EsthetiX

Enlightened
I dunno what the X5 is like and I haven't gotten my p1 yet so Im just curious what the opinions are performance-wise. Is it a powerful light? I always here people raving about the p1 but never see anyone talking about this guy.

bray

Newly Enlightened
anybody know the difference between the snow led color and the white one? Snows white and whites white so what could possibly be the difference

InfidelCastro

Banned
I believe there is a picture on the Peak website comparing and ARC-AAA-P, their White LED and their Snow LED. The Snow LED in the pic looks like a blizzard White-out.

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are still 5mm led,they will not be as white as a good Lux 1or lux3.I had one and thought the tint was rather blue.Not the bluest I have ever seen,but certainly not what I expected for snow white.It was very well made,I had brass with the momentary switch.

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast
pilou said:
I am really interested in this light. It seems to have a useful floody beam, semi-decent regulation and runtime, and it can be had in some really nice finishes. Can anyone shed light on a couple of questions?

1. The Peak website explains the difference between the old and new styles: link . So while output and beam pattern are improved.....
I disagree that the beam is improved. The "spill light" of the new model is merely a bunch of artifacts due to reflections off the front of the light. It's not smooth, and I find it distracting. I much prefer the beam on the original version.

InfidelCastro

Banned
Paul6ppca said:
They are still 5mm led,they will not be as white as a good Lux 1or lux3.I had one and thought the tint was rather blue.Not the bluest I have ever seen,but certainly not what I expected for snow white.It was very well made,I had brass with the momentary switch.

What I like about 5mm LED's is that you don't have to use reflectors. You don't have to worry about scratching the lens either. Just ask my X5.

In all other ways I can think of though, they are inferior.