New to this world...

anthroPelexis

Newly Enlightened
Hello, I am new to the world of flashlights... well I mean I have used them, but nothing extra special. Anyway, I am interested in a portable, palm-sized High output flashlight.

I have been reading the forums for a while, and seem to be leaning toward a LED light. The Surefire L4 looks like a nice model, but I want to know of other good choices.

I will be carrying this light with me almost always, so it can't be a beast. Also, I want it to be very bright, and last a long time (bulb-wise). Is the LED the best way to go, or traditional Incandescent?

Pretty much it will be used for general lighting, but when I buy something, I want it to be not just adequate, but superb, so IF I am in a situation where I will need a lot of light, I have it with me.

Can anybody recommend me a modest size light with high output and lithium batt source?

Thanks in advance!

Brandon

onlinewarlord

Newly Enlightened
welcome to cpf.

Sounds to me like you are on the right track with the L4. Depending on how much you want to spend a U2 might be option for you. The U2 is slightly larger but is a nice versatile light for general use. The U2 is bright, adjustable, and has a nice mix of flood/throw for an LED. The L4 on the other hand is mainly flood. On the down side the U2 costs a lot more.

I should also throw a boost in there for my favorite the A2! A fantastic little light that gets rave reviews from just about everyone who has seen one in person.

Last edited:

Glock40

Newly Enlightened
The L4 is a light that i am sure that you would be very happy with. You may be interested in a dual level light. Something that is bright like you want and also you can find something you droped in the floor of your car without blinding yourself. I think you would also find that the low level of most dual level lights are bright enough for most indoor purposes. Be sure to check out The surefire A2 and L2. You may also want to check out the Fenix line of producds, such as the L2T. Stick with surefire if you want the best quality around. Just my opinion and welcome to CPF.

anthroPelexis

Newly Enlightened
Well it doesnt HAVE to be lithium, but I have read they are better suited for the elements when it comes to a power source.. Also, I was looking.. and a multi-output light is also nice. For example, the Surefire L2 LumaMax. Thanks for the replys guys!

metalhed

Enlightened
You really can't go wrong with the L2 from Surefire.

The output on low is comparable to a lot of common incandescent flashlights and will give you 8-10 hours of light. On high you get the 'wall of light' so many of us like, albeit with about an hour of runtime.

These lights are extremely well-built and dependable, so the excellent Surefire customer service and warranty probably won't come into play, but it's nice to have for peace of mind.

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Brandon and welcome at CPF:)

The SF L4 is a light with a floody output and little throw. It uses a LuxV led with one brightness level, so it's power consumption is more than a light with the same attributes and a LuxIII led, which provides more throw.

What's the distance you want to illuminate and what's your price range?

Best regards

_____
Tom

anthroPelexis

Newly Enlightened
Thank you all for the information! Anyway, I have decided I want a light with at least 2 modes.. a low & high. (this way I won't drain the batts when I dont need the high output).

The SF L2 so far is the best choice, but I'm open to other brands, and possibly other power sources. Are there any decently priced ($125-200 USD) rechargable LED multi-power lights similar to the size/weight of the L2?

BlackDecker

Enlightened
Check out the Huntlight ft02x. It can run on a single 123a battery, or with the included extension tube, can run on 2 standard AA batteries. Has a 3watt LED, puts out a nice beam with plenty of reach, and plenty of sidespill.

Here's a picture of it, along with the included extension tube and a Fenix L1P for size comparison:

HuntlightFT02XvsL1P.jpg

wmirag

Enlightened
anthroPelexis said:
The SF L2 so far is the best choice, but I'm open to other brands, and possibly other power sources. Are there any decently priced ($125-200 USD) rechargable LED multi-power lights similar to the size/weight of the L2?

If you can EDC a 5-6 inch light, the Surefire L2 and A2 are outstanding choices. I have both and I love both for different reasons. But for EDC between the two I do have a preference: the A2. Here is why:

-The extra 3/4 inch of the L2 means a lot in this size EDC.
-The throw of the regulated incan of the A2 exceeds the L2 throw by a lot.
-The color rendition of an incan outdoors is better than an LED.
-The incan is reputed to perform better in smoke or fog.
-The A2 has its own backup - the LED and incan are independent.
-The low of the A2 LED is much lower than the low of the L2, yet it's very useful and has a surprising throw at that low level.

W.

carrot

Flashaholic
I really like my new Surefire L2. Can't really go wrong with a light like it. You can run it on 14670 rechargeable Li-ion cells, and can get it bored out for 17670's.

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
anthroPelexis said:
Can anybody recommend me a modest size light with high output and lithium batt source?

Thanks in advance!

Brandon
I love the L4. It is the perfect floodlight. It is very compact and feels good in the pocket. Sometimes I wish I bought the L2 rather than the L4. The L2 is a little longer. I think it might fit better in my hands. My hands are bigger than average, so this may not be a problem for you.

Sixpointone

Enlightened
I own an L4 and think it is excellent. I have a McGizmo McE2s two stage tailcap that I use with it and primarily use the light on low.

If I were going to buy such a light, and not be able to get the two stage cap, I'd likely select the L2.

Of course with the A2 you also cannot go wrong.

Please let us know what you decide, and either way I am certain you'll end up with a quality light.

luigi

Enlightened
Maybe this is a very stupid advice but if you like flashlights it may be a good idea to start with the low or mid-tier models (in price) so you don't spend all your hobby funds before you know what kind of lights you prefer.
Nuwai, Fenix, Dorcy are brands that you can use to get started before buying your surefires, hds and others.

Luigi

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
luigi said:
Maybe this is a very stupid advice but if you like flashlights it may be a good idea to start with the low or mid-tier models (in price) so you don't spend all your hobby funds before you know what kind of lights you prefer.
Nuwai, Fenix, Dorcy are brands that you can use to get started before buying your surefires, hds and others.

Luigi

On the other hand, on this way he will end at the better lights and will have a lot of useless lights.
That was my experiences, so I would advice to start with better ones.

In the case he will not like one of them, he can sell them, which is not so easy with cheap lights.

Best regards

____
Tom

firefly99

Enlightened
SF L4 is a great light that consist of a KL4, 2 cell body and tailcap.

Since you prefer a small light, you may want to consider a KL4 with a 1 cell body and tailcap is also known around here as TW4. It can be convert into a 2 stage light with a little changes to the tailcap.

anthroPelexis

Newly Enlightened
I do not understand, are you saying I should get a E2 series flashlight, and then get that KL4 light attachment?

GregWormald

Enlightened
The HDS EDC series should do you as well. I don't know if there are any around at the moment, a new line is upcoming and all originals have been 'remaindered'. The U60 would be my choice although a 42 is very close in output.
Greg