Fenix L1S dim level?

Brock

Flashaholic
Ok, I just got the L1S. For the record it is within 3% of the L1P for brightness which is nice.

The thing I think is odd and wanted to know if this is normal is the dim level is about 60% of the bright level. (I have 550 on high and 350 on low) I was really hoping for a dimmer dim level. The dim level is brighter then the LOP AAA version with a fresh cell. To bright to really be used as a dim light in my situations, I was hoping for something along the lines of a single 5mm, like 5-10 lumens.

Personally I would consider this a normal level and then overdrive or bright.

I guess what I am wondering is it just this light or is that typical on the 2 stage Fenix's?

I did try it with alkaline, NiMH and lithium AA's. All had a similar result.

Thoughts?

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a common complaint that Fenix's "low" isn't low enough. However, the runtime is much better than "high." I find low mode to be enough for most tasks, but I use high mode when I need a bit more punch.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thats normal Brock. No wimpy low. I like it like that, but many others feel the same way you do. To bright...

Ken

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
A lot of people don't like the L1T/etc fenix lights because of this.

I think the low level shoulnd't be thought of as a "dim night vision preserving" level, but more like a battery preserving level. The light is almost as bright on low as high, but runtime goes way up. So thick of high as "burst" mode or something is a better what to describe it I guess is a good way of thinking.

There are other fenix-ish lights that IIRC have a much dimmer low which would be better suited for perserving night vision/etc but IIRC they use a resistor and the runtime on low is no where near as good as Fenix. Fenix must change the sense resistor in the head for the levels vs just putting resistance between the battery and circuit...

ciam

Newly Enlightened
Last edited:

Brock

Flashaholic
Yes, I saw Doug's review and his was just under half. I didn't know how typical that is. It also did depend on what cell I was running, it seem the most difference in brightness was running a fresh lithium. With alkaline they were even closer.

Now that I know that this is common I am fine with it, I was just checking to make sure it wasn't a fluke.

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have the L1S but have the L1T which is similar, the low beam isn't much duller than high, I don't mind it as the lower setting uses a lot less power than high,
180 ma as opposed to 1100 ma on high, as the levels are very close in brightness
I always keep it on the low setting, If I need a boost then it goes on high.