An odd flashlight comment from a friend..

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the weekend we had some company at our campsite, the specifics of the conversation are pretty foggy right now, but I do remember him specifically saying:
"Could you imagine the lights the police carry, those big things must be able to light up to the moon"
I just can't figure out how a person could think that with all of today's mediums of communication could think that the Police have access to better, or even different lights than the public. At the time I think I had my 9P, with a P91 of course, and we were just kinda shining it around, probably more me than him though..
For some reason that comment is kind of eating at me..
I think any cop who takes his lights serious and makes the decision to break away from the weak output of what most are issued would be a member here, or at the very least have the opportunity to try many lights due to the simple fact of their surroundings.
I'm sure this small page of my life would have fit snugly in some other thread, but I just had to get it out.. Mostly because I know that no person regardless of their occupation has access to better lights than the population of this little community of 18,000+ flashlight die hards.
If there is a Law enforcement officer out there who has some top secret torch that has managed to keep it a secret, shoot me a message, my Pay pal is loaded. :)
Is this a normal form of public misinformation that Cops deal with?

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know why it bothers you so, it is simple perception and a bit of hope. Most people are not really that informed about different equipment available, including flashlights. I think most probably hope/believe that their police agencies are very well equipped, in part because their life may well rest upon how well equipped the police are. Often in the past, size was indicitive of perfomance and power, even though it is not still always that way today, it is still a common belief.

As far as police officers being more knowledgeable about flashlights, only if they have been exposed to them, will they know better are available. If not, they may go on forever in blissful ignorance. You are wanting them to be as aware as yourself about flashlights inparticular. Don't let their lack of knowledge bother you, if you wish, educate them, instead of just letting it bother you.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
As you already know, many police departments use either a Mag Charger or a Streamlight SL-20 that is cradled in the car. Other departments may issue a disposable battery powered light or one of the Stinger series of lights. In any case you're probably already familiar with the output of each of these lights already anyway.

Insofar as misinformation, it's probably more that there is a lot of public misinformation on the Web that all the citizens of the world have to deal with, including cops.

Pydpiper said:
Is this a normal form of public misinformation that Cops deal with?

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Your friend is possibly thinking of the Night Sun that's fitted on many law enforcement helicopters. Not exactly EDC but an amazing amount of light. That certainly sticks out in my mind when I think of LEO illumination tools.

Last edited:

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I first got hired into regular law enforcement (long time ago) I got issued a used 3-D Maglite. I just threw it in my closet and carried my own Streamlight SL-20.

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
Part of this is perception on the part of the general public. Think of all the stores you go into, then think of the flashlight section there, ( you know we all go there ) then think of what brands are displayed.

Have you ever seen a Surefire? OR how about a Light costing more than $40.?

The General Public is ignorant as to the availability of all the different lights. Unless you have the type of job that a flashlight is necessary, you probably have not looked too hard as to what is out there.

RebelRAM

Enlightened
I think that can be said about most items with the general public. If it can't be bought at Walmart or Target, most people don't even know that item exists.

Most of us here are gadget guys, we may even work with a few other different types of gadget guys. People who know us, friends, co-workers, family, etc. They know that when they need something or want to buy something specific, they come ask us.

For outdoor type gear, my brothers usually come ask me if there is something specific they are looking for. They both know how to find their way to a Bass Pro Shop, but they don't always know which item to buy when they get there, so they ask me.

In any case, I don't worry too much about what the general public does and doesn't know. I make an effort to learn the things I want to know. Then if I feel like it, I share the info when somebody asks.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Something I learned a long while back.

An awful lot of people sleep well at night because they have this TV/Hollywood image of ultra-well equipped cops able to cover every inch of ground and arriving within seconds of a crime and having all of the resources they need immediately at their disposal.

They are often shocked and dismayed when a real crime happens and underpaid, overworked, ill-equipped officers show up "as soon as they can", take a report and leave.

What, it's not like TV where the criminal will be in jail in an hour???

I thank GOD that crime-drama shows like CSI weren't around when I was on patrol. I actually saw a cop flinch recently when a peeping-tom victim asked them "well can't you check for DNA like on CSI?"

I eventually gave up trying to educate that type of person on the realities of law enforcement.