Anything into oil ...an update

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some time back, I'm sure I've posted something about the original Discover magazine article about Thermal De-Polymerization. A process that was touted to take any organic feedstock and process it into oil.

Well, the first production plant got built in Carthage, Missouri and Discover magazine has produced an update. The process works but it was a lot harder to make it work properly than originally expected.

http://www.discover.com/issues/apr-06/features/anything-oil/

Plus, the turkey plant used to pay to have the offal trucked away... but now charges the TDP plant since they figure the organic material NOW has value. It made a $54/ton increase difference in the costs they expected for operation.

Last edited:

AJ_Dual

Enlightened
I was excited about TDP, now "Thermal Conversion" when I read the initial Discover article "Anything Into Oil". Exactly what I figured would happen. They'd hit technical, economic, and regulatory roadbumps, but the essential premise is sound.

Good for them.

I wish them continued success. Even if we move from oil as an energy source almost completely as a civilization, there will still be a massive need for petrochemicals for all their other uses.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
AJ_Dual said:
Even if we move from oil as an energy source almost completely as a civilization, there will still be a massive need for petrochemicals for all their other uses.
Yes, exactly. The good thing about this process is that you can make the raw material for things like plastics from what is essentially garbage. To me that's a winning combination. You get rid of garbage, save energy, and make something society needs.