Milkyspit's Baby Optimator Gets New Shoes!!

MSaxatilus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recent picked up a Lux I light built by Milkyspit. But I wasn't thrilled with the 3 cell host it was in. So I have given it a new body and a new tailswitch. Whatcha think:

BO1.jpg

BO2.jpg

BO3.jpg

BO4.jpg

For those of you that don't know what a Baby Optimator is:

A modded old-style KL3 head containing a LuxI SXOH and customized McR27 reflector... this one's only driving the emitter at 350mA but by virtue of the emitter and reflector pumps out about 60 lumens and throws very well.

The hotspot is a little smaller and substantially more intense than the HDS.
Sidespill is roughly equal in brightness and a little larger in radius than the HDS sidespill. Runtime of this Baby Optimator on 3x123 primaries is an estimated 4 hours of bright output. There ought to be quite a bit of lower-level light even beyond this point. If using rechargeables, 2x17500's would be safest.

Well I have replaced the C3 body with an L5 body, the tailswitch is a SW01 Fat version, and the powersource is two BatteryStation R123s!

Overall its alot smaller package, and much more pocketable for me. The runtime is great and it really cranks out the light for a Lux I.

I'm very happy with my new light! :goodjob: Milky!!

MSax

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I like it. Great tailcap, and perfect size. Not sure about 60 lumens, but would have great runtime.

Bill

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bullzeyebill said:
I like it. Great tailcap, and perfect size. Not sure about 60 lumens, but would have great runtime.

Bill

Hey Bill, :wave: the emitter is spec'd by Lumileds to generate about 60 lumens on average.

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like you could bash someone's skull with EITHER end of the light! :laughing:

Incidentally, I've got nicknames for both versions of that SWO1 tailswitch... call the narrow one the "baker's cap"... and the fat one (like pictured) the "millstone." :)

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL I love it! That looks great! It is positively evil looking. I wonder if the TSA would let you board a plane with it? ;)

I keep my millstone on the M2 + detonator + Chrononster and it balances the look just perfectly. What a great tailcap: functional and great looking.

Kid9P

Flashlight Enthusiast
Msax,

Man, glag to see your taking care of the baby.
It looks very nice... :)

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bullzeyebill said:
Has the SW01 tailcap been discontinued? If not, where available?

Bill

Bill, MSax is the resident authority on the SW01 switch. I think the baker's cap version is in production but mainly only available to military personnel and/or offshore customers... the millstone version is definitely NOT in production any longer.

Here's a photo of the two side by side for reference...

img-m360-silver-guardian2-into-head.jpg

SW01 baker's cap on left, SW01 millstone on right. :)

MSaxatilus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Milky is correct, the Fat version is no longer produced and is very very very rare and difficult to come by. The refined versions are still available but are also difficult to come by.

If you're looking for one. Send me a PM, I'll see what I can do to help you out.

MSax

MSaxatilus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Milky,

Nice Pic!!! That firewood still available?

Might have to stop by and pic some up this weekend.

MSax

jtice

Flashaholic
Crazy tails !
If they were any larger, I would get confused which end of the light is which ! :p

~John