What made you first really feel like a flashaholic?

drizzle

Enlightened
For me it was just a few days ago when I had a couple of contractor friends over to spec some work on my house. We were looking in a dim corner when I pulled my L1P out of my pocket and said something like, "Check this out!"

One of them turned to the other, rolled his eyes and said, "He always wants to show off his LED flashlights." I felt a surge of pride at that. :) The funny thing was I didn't even remember showing it to him before.

Later we went outside to look at some work high up on my chimney and I lit it up with my Little Friend. I was very pleased by the light output but they didn't seem to appreciate it.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Just a couple days ago an old buddy from Pittsburgh, who knows of my addiction, had to call me to report he'd bought a new MM 3AA LED. He's amazed by the output and plans to put it in his Harley's saddlebag in case he looses his headlight, and for "protection".

Geoff

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Probably when I pursued the Streamlight mini-Ultrastinger project. Someone had posted that I could upgrade my Streamlight Stinger to an HP by getting an HP upgrade head. Then I got some Ultrastinger bulbs at a great price from a fellow member here. Next I ordered some custom made 6 volt battery packs for the "mini-Ultrastinger". It doesn't have the run time of a regular Ultratinger, but it is just a bright. It is kind of neat to see the look on some peoples faces when I use this, especially fellow cops from other agencies.

I guess the 3-D Mag-Lite upgrade to the 3-watt Mag-Lite LED wasn't quite the same since anybody can go to Wal-Mart, buy the 3-watt Mag-Lite LED, and install it, but it did sort of remind me of the other project.

I am sure that a big benefit to me of this forum is simply information exchange. I really only have four flashlights worth mentioning:

-3-D Mag-Lite with 3 watt LED

-Tigerlight FBOP

-Inova T4

-Streamlight mini-Ultrastinger

And as I think about it CPF has influenced all four. I doubt that I would have known about the 3-watt Mag LED if not for reading about it here.

I would not have modified the Stinger if not for CPF

I doubt that I would have known about the Tigerlight FBOP, or Inova T4 and would not have bought them if not for CPF.

Or, and I almost forgot, I did have a Streamlight SL20X that I installed an SL35X lamp assembly in, but that was already a fairly common cop mod around here. Ironically, that light was stolen from my pick-up truck.

Concept

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I found this site and it all went downhill from there.

I didn't need any encouragement, but here we are.

I'm addicted and my girlfriend knows it and so does her family now.

What ya gonna do?

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I bought more than one light that had the same features or uses. Why do I need an Exolion if I already have a Jil? Because it looks cool and is made with titanium. So what if they're functionally indentical and the same size? Gotta have both. And an Ion, and an Orb...

Sixpointone

Enlightened
Here are eight milestones…

*When I first bought a MagCharger

*When I first started to EDC a Light.

*When I found the CPF

*When I first bought a SureFire

*When I bought a McE2s two stage tailcap

*When I hit 500 posts and the site told me I was

*The first times PK ever replied to me via email and the message board

*When I bought a PK etched Light

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
where you create an account on CPF and has more then 200 post.

you saw the surefire and was thinking about in all night and day.

you laughed at your friends lights.

you take good care of the flashlights you own, instead of really using them.(only use some)

you buy a $30 light then add another $30 for one in another colour.
then you spend $40 buying the accessories for it(e.g. li-ion batts, charger, UCL holster)

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I bought a bunch of PAL lights for people, and only 1 person cared.
When I went camping with only a shake-light, and felt SOoooo frustrated.
Dropping $180 on a C3 and P91.

When I began spending free time on CPF, rather than playing videogames or watching TV.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Omega Man said:
When I bought a bunch of PAL lights for people, and only 1 person cared...
Now that's sad. I have been amazed by people I know who could not share any of my enthusiasm for lights -- even though they can't see in the dark, either. Oh well.

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
The first time I made ten bucks betting someone that the LED light I just dropped onto concrete would still work. :)

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I coughed $135 for the HDS U60GT...knowing that the B42XRGT that I'd bought only a few weeks previously was perfectly acceptable for my uses...I just *couldn't* let that U60 go knowing that I may not be able to get one again...nothing to do with genuine need or requirement...I simply *had* to own one.

CFU

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
As a child, I discovered that there was just something about bright light that made me feel good. Whenever I walked through the lighting display area of a retail store, I'd stop and linger there for a moment, basking in the bright, warm glow. I still get that feeling from lighting displays.

I've been buying LED lights ever since they became available, but I didn't get my first "serious" light until I found CPF and the QIII. It's been downhill ever since...
:)

mosport

Enlightened
Some good stories in this thread, always liked flashlights but it was probably when I joined CPF and started buying tools just for modding shortly afterwards. What started out as a search for a good LED light to take to the racetrack has pretty much overtaken my car hobbies today :rock:

Didn't get too far with my old soldering iron used mostly for car wiring, so went out and bought a ceramic 15W iron and stand for a few bucks then got hooked after that. Next came all the supplies like Arctic Allumina, teflon wire, epoxy, emitters, reflectors, lenses, o-rings, etc.. and then some clear plastic finshing tackle boxes to sort and store everything (latest tool is a small 8" drill press this past weekend). Of course mod supplies aren't much use without flashlights to mod and so the cycle continues!

Feels awesome after you've completed a mod, any mod... It can be as simple as replacing a bulb with a LED, there's that sense of the job done right just like when you install a kitchen faucet or finish some DIY car work. Good thing there's 4 Canadian Tires, 3 Home Depots, 2 Ronas within a 10 min drive :)

Zephyr

Enlightened
When I first drove all around town looking for a lightwave 2000 that cost me $40 for a four LED flashlight. Also, when I started loosing weight due to allocating all of my food allowances towards flashlight purchases. I thought that was a crazy thing to do back then....