New L1 *Surefire runtimes are overstated

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
What happened?! the L1 does not have a runtime of 4 hours!!! and the e1l at 4 hrs!?!

what are they thinking?
-tom

Last edited:

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: New L1 *Surefire runtimes are grossly overstated

maybe their definition of runtime is different than yours (CPFers in general). They might label the time from first start to no light at all to be the runtime :S

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast

"Runtime", as us flashaholics generally specify it, is the amount of time before it hits 50% of its original brightness level; the point at which most people would feel compelled to replace/recharge the batteries.

Many companies greatly exaggerate their runtimes, or at least fails to qualify them. I don't think Surefire fits into that catagory, because they at least quality (explain) what they mean. They might say "6 hours" for the E2L, but they qualify it by saying "3 hours high output then 3 hours useful output". Independent testing (like flashlightreviews.com) confirms the 3 hours high output. "Useful output" is best considered as "enough light to find more batteries or another flashlight". These are pretty accurate claims. Unlike some other manufacturers we could mention.

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've set my L1 on low and left it on for several night's in a row (all night) and it hasn't
dimmed yet after probably 40-50 hour's. My E1L stayed in moon mode for at least 3
hour's, I got tired of waiting for it to die. Plenty of light left to find another cell. My
2 cent's worth. I'm sure other's would tell the same thing.

cslinger

Enlightened

I don't feel the runtime is overstated with my two current gen L1s at all. They run about 2 hours on high and then quite a long time in moon mode/low.

On low they run for damn near ever.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast

I absolutely LOVE my new L1. I really do think the stated runtime number is from turned on till its completely dead. I really can't decide which I like better, my U2 or my L1....

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes... I am probably going to purchase an L1 in the near future, but it does appear that my definition of runtime is slightly different than that of Surefires.

I do believe that not too long ago, Surefire stated the runtime on high to be 2 hours, instead of 4. Why the change?

*same with e1l
-tom

greenLED

Flashaholic

I got my L1 from PK at SHOT Show earlier this year; I'm still on the original battery. High is looooong gone, but I can't seem to be able to kill the battery. Actually, I've tried 123's that won't light up any other 1x123 lights I have, and the L1 still powers up on low - enough to navigate around the house and read at night.

firefly99

Enlightened

Cornkid said:
Yes... I am probably going to purchase an L1 in the near future, but it does appear that my definition of runtime is slightly different than that of Surefires.

I do believe that not too long ago, Surefire stated the runtime on high to be 2 hours, instead of 4. Why the change?

*same with e1l
-tom
hi Tom,

The 4 hours runtime is for the KL1 on single cell body such as E1L.
Runtime for SF L1 remain unchange at 1.5 hours max output++.
Do not confuse KL1 and L1.

ANW

Newly Enlightened
Great Now I want an L1 even more, I thought my e1e w/kl1 was a long running single cell light, but sounds like the L1 is better from what i'm reading. Oh well time to start saving to buy for myself after christmas.

ja10

Enlightened
The L1 seems to run forever. For what it's worth, I just got an F04 beamshaper from Lighthound and wow, now this light is perfect (well, as perfect as it can be without sending it to Milky). Now I have the tight beam which is great when I'm outside, and with the F04 the light is perfect for reading and doing things inside.

The L1 is a great light!

The Porcupine

Enlightened
I just got an L1 last week and while I haven't done any runtime tests, it really does seem to run forever! I got it with a slightly used battery and have used it a lot to test it. Still runs on both high and low!
I have had an E1L for a year or so and wasn't quite sure if getting an L1 was a good idea since the output and beam profile is the same.
But I am so pleased with having the low output option for getting up at night, being able to read a map in the car without blinding myself, etc.
The L1 is quite a bit larger than the E1L, but I like it! Much easier to operate and use.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I liked Surefire's previous definition of "diminishing output" better. Old KL1s used to be rated at 1 hour of full in-regulation power, followed by 1 hour of diminishing light where it would still be adequate for some tasks. I think that Surefire's 'useful light' means diminishing light now, and that it's substantially more than our definition of 'moon mode'. Moon mode on the KL1 is *FOREVER*. Half a day (12 hours) at very least. Can't seem to kill batteries with that. My own numbers were 90 minutes (more efficient LEDs), 2 hours, and half a day to 1 day after that.

As it seems, even to me, the definitions get hazy, whether they come from Surefire or the flashaholics. It's best to look at the graphs and determine what percentage of output you consider 'useful', IMHO.