Jumpy keyboard - Help! Can't type straight!

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a toshiba laptop. When I type, occasionally the cursor moves to another place and my text gets messed up. I don't rub the touchpad, that's not the problem. And I don't bump my trackball, that's not the problem. If I sit here and just mash keys it doesn't happen. I try to reproduce it to no avail.

Sometimes it jumps to a previous field, as if someone had inserted a 'shift-tab' while I was typing. Sometimes the cursor just goes up one line. Sometimes it jumps back 5 or 10 characters and I end up writing in the middle of the previous word...

This is driving me crazy. I know I'm not crazy yet because it really happens

I'm very particular for correct spelling, and this doesn't help!

Am I the only one that this happens to?

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Someone had a similar problem at work and running all the updates (Windows, Toshiba, etc.) seems to have resolved the problem for that user...might try that...

JM-99

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you cleaned your keyboard at all? Crumbs of food under the keys have been known to cause this problem, too.

A good vacuuming is best, otherwise just turn your computer upside down and bang gently on all the keys. :D

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
i'm betting that you actually ARE bumping the trackpad. I have that problem periodically. As I type my palm or finger brushes the trackpad just enough to make it think I clicked whever the mouse happens to be.

On the mac there is an option to ignore trackpad input while you're typing, it inserts a few ticks of a pause before accepting a trackpad click after each keystroke thinking that you really didn't mean to hit that a tenth of a second after typing something. But I sometimes forget to turn that back on after messing around with third party mouse drivers...

There has got to be something similar for windows right ;) Either that or you've just got some dirt along the edge of the trackpad which is confusing it when the pressure on the case it just right. I have also discovered that just a little bit of peanut butter in the edge there can really mess it up :D

lukus

Enlightened
I've got a Dell Latitude and occasionally have that same problem. I have to agree with the other posts, it took me a while to convince myself that I really am brushing the touchpad. Irratating when it happens to be sure, but I'm keeping my palms a little more out and it rarerly happens now. Kind of forcing me to have better typing posture.