Nuwai .5 1AAA question

gorn

Enlightened
I found one of my .5 nuwai's still in the box it was shipped in. It had a battery in it that had leaked. I pulled the led and circuit board out and would like to make a reading light out of it. I intend to run it off a wall wart USB power source.

Will the circuit take 5.7v or am I going to have to try to figure out which resistor I would need to drop the voltage?

Tritium

Enlightened
gorn said:
I found one of my .5 nuwai's still in the box it was shipped in. It had a battery in it that had leaked. I pulled the led and circuit board out and would like to make a reading light out of it. I intend to run it off a wall wart USB power source.

Will the circuit take 5.7v or am I going to have to try to figure out which resistor I would need to drop the voltage?

That is a boost board. Better not feed it much over 1.8V or smoke might occur.

Thurmond

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since we do not know what the circuit charistics are I suggest bypassing the circuit board and use the LED only. Then you can calculate the resistor here
http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz
5.7 Vs 3.6 Vf 40mA If gives 56 ohms 1/4 watt
5.7 Vs 3.6 Vf 50mA If gives 47 ohms 1/4 watt
I would not want to push more current than that thru the LED continuously.

potok

Newly Enlightened
gorn said:
I intend to run it off a wall wart USB power source.

Hmmm, just a question, what is wall wart USB power source. Sounds like something i really need, ok, ok, sounds too cool to miss.

gorn

Enlightened
The USB wall wart is a 110v AC wall plug that converts the power to 5.7v DC with a USB jack. It will let you charge iPods, bluetooth headsets and other things that are designed to be charged with your computers USB port.

potok

Newly Enlightened
and where would i find one of those, since i just realised that i cannot live without one of those, is there firewire one too? does it fit standard J-box?

gorn

Enlightened
One of the ones I have is made by Belkin. Search Ebay, there are a bunch of different brands. Most any store that sells Apple iPods will have them in one form or another.

Latest posts