super simple luxeon headlamp/li-on combo (afordable)

cy

Flashaholic
super simple luxeon headlamp/li-on combo (afordable) Streamlight Argo HP

super simple luxeon headlamp/li-on combo (afordable)

take a Streamlight Argo HP, 2x CR123 headlamp (aprox. $25) then add one 17670 or 168s li-ion cell. that's it...

guilt free lumens and eliminate reverse charge danger by going to a single li-ion cell.

this has got to be the smallest headlamp with this much mah capacity. Argo HP is not as durable as Stenlight, but stands on it's own merits with li-ion cell.

note: to avoid overtighen cap problem with Argo HP. remember to unscrew 1/16 turn after seating cap. since both batt caps look indentical, to avoid killing you hands trying to remove wrong end. mark the cap that actually comes off.

argo hp 2.JPG

Last edited:

jtice

Flashaholic
heh, nice find there CY,

Is the output any less?

I have the 3xAAA version though :(
Love how small it is, but its just about useless due to the SHORT runtime.

~John

Last edited:

Pumaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually ordered one earlier tonight(amazon $33 no tax free ship), figured since I would have 17670s around for another upcoming bright light :p

Seems to be the only li-ion rechargeable headlamp around for the price.

btw how much is the output reduced from 2x123?

cy

Flashaholic
output is almost the same w/17670. with 2x fresh surefire cells. it's barely brighter.

runtime should improve too, but I'm not a runtime guy. not enough patience :green:

this setup makes an impressive backup light to stenlight. or primary for times you don't need a full blown setup like stenlight.

I've been using Argo HP/17670 along with ti PD for wrenching/worklight duties.

jtice said:
heh, nice find there CY,

Is the output any less?

I have the 3xAAA version though :(
Love how small it is, but its just about useless due to the SHORT runtime.

~John

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
can anyone confirm that you can change the side emitting emitter to a normal luxeon? I've heard it makes a beam without the artifacts...

cy

Flashaholic
was just eyeballing Argo HP for an upgrade to SXOH star....

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
cy said:
was just eyeballing Argo HP for an upgrade to SXOH star....
cy,

let us know if its possible to gain access to the LED... i heard it can be done but never got any pics or anything confirming it...

A 17670 SXOH headlamp is quite the package :)

cy

Flashaholic
have not swapped luxeon yet, but it looks super simple. mine has a one watt side emitter luxeon star.

there's two small phillips screws holding down a plastic cover. unsolder two wires and that's it...

cy

Flashaholic
ok.. just finish Sbin star swap.

need to retract my statement about this being easy. the soldering is easy, but when you take Argo HP apart. there is quite the mod potential inside. IC is not marked and I have not measured current yet to determind what type board we have.

after swap, output almost doubled. it came with a PWOJ. I switched to a SX1J to maintain same vf.

Argo HP is difinately a well put together unit. star sits on an aluminum heatsink that has some type of heat compound. seems both low and high beam is regulated.

beam generated quite the donut hole. tightened bezel and improved somewhat, but cannot get rid of donut. reflector could be sanded down to focus beam.

edit: sanded down reflector support to allow reflector to sit deeper. beam improved. need to sand down more... donut is almost gone.

throw hugely improves along with output.

argo.JPG

argo 2.JPG

Last edited:

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks CY!... its on an aluminum sink huh? Thats cool... If i remember both settings are regulated... however... the sample I messed with had the low setting too bright (like all headlamps)...

why did you use the same vf?

thanks for the update!

cy

Flashaholic
aluminum heatsink is thin at best, but beats no heatsink at all.

since IC is not marked and I have not taken time to properly take current/voltage readings under load. used same vf star to insure star is being driven at same levels.

Argo HP is totally plastic light with a tiny heatsink and I would like to keep this light reliable.

board inside looks to be robustly made and looks to have loads of mod potential.

jar3ds said:
thanks CY!... its on an aluminum sink huh? Thats cool... If i remember both settings are regulated... however... the sample I messed with had the low setting too bright (like all headlamps)...

why did you use the same vf?

thanks for the update!

Pumaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got mine yesterday and am impressed! artifacts aren't as bad as anticipated and tint is great. If the more experienced than me figure out what is the best star to put in is, I might try it. How would a U**J luxIII react?? Great headlamp, only issue is see is it's slightly front-heavy, but just wearing it a little higher on the head helps. Surprised it's not more popular.

Last edited:

cy

Flashaholic
SX1J is a one watt star. have no clue how UWOJ would do. but results should be simular.

have not measured actual current to luxeon, but it's pretty low. contained in a plastic housing with little heatsinking. would not want to drive much harder.

this mod has gone further than planned already

glockboy said:
Cy
Is the SX1J Lux I or Lux III?

Last edited:

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
keep us posted on any new developments w/ your mod cy :D

cy

Flashaholic
took it back apart and dinked with the reflector focus. emitter needs to come forward aprox. .090in. ended up with a nice spot pattern. donut hole disapears after 30in. this headlamp really throws! spill is reduced, so if you like spill. you may not want to change out side-emitter.

this started out a low $$ mod, but Sbin nearly doubled budget :green:
there's is absolutely nothing wrong with original side-emitter.

$25 Argo HP
$8 17670
$20 Sbin star

here's a beamshot. note how tight spot is

bs argo.JPG

Last edited:

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
:drool: dangg............... that looks nice.... very impressed! Now you have a two stage, regulated, li-ion, S-bin headlamp!

you've put me to shame! where did you get a $25 Argo HP? Thanks!

EDIT: I'd be very interested in a runtime graph if you have the resources/time to do one.. thanks!

cy

Flashaholic
actually Argo HP was sent to me for free from Streamlight at Shotshow.

thought I saw a price online for $25, but could be wrong.
not a runtime guy, so if you want a runtime. got to do this mod your self.

Latest posts