6v Lanterns?

DNA

Newly Enlightened
I've got a quick question, has anyone on the forum dropped a 4-cell M*g LED module into one of those inexpensive 6v lantern deals? I mean the 4-cells are ok for up to 6v I assume? And in that setup there'd be plenty of battery life right?

Dan

E

Elecktrode231

DNA said:
I've got a quick question, has anyone on the forum dropped a 4-cell M*g LED module into one of those inexpensive 6v lantern deals? I mean the 4-cells are ok for up to 6v I assume? And in that setup there'd be plenty of battery life right?

Dan

the magled bulbs arent exactly built to PR standards....

if you do work it in, yes theres increased battery life since a typical 4D mag uses 4D cells, lantern batteries typically use bigger "F" cells.

Amp-hours, the more the better :)

Illum

Flashaholic
personally I dont think it could work....even with poor heatsinking, the bulb mount is aluminum on the mag, in the typical eveready lantern your mounting the diode with a plastic mount and the fact that the modules are polarized [demand the center be positive, but for most lantern lights the center is negative..

even if you can get by the lantern battery part, the heat from the emitter might melt the bulb mount.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
First of all, welcome to CPF!

If you can find one of those 6V lantern deals that can accommodate the Mag LED module, I suppose it could, and you would indeed have plenty of run time if you use an alkaline 6V lantern battery. However, as others have already noted, the barrel on the Mag LED module is considerably larger than that of a PR bulb. The other thing to take into account is that the 6V alkaline lantern batteries usually cost more than two sets of D sized alkaline batteries, so you're probably not gaining anything by using the lantern battery rather than a 4 D cell adapter.

DNA said:

Dan

DNA

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the welcome, I'm actually a long time lurker :) Got started with the Costo 2AA 1watt Lux, then got a few of the RR 1.5W lights, and few PR base Smjleds. Just picked up a 3AA 3w mm M*g. I work graveyards and well, lets just say I won't be running out of light anytime soon.

As for the question of the Lantern lights, I just figured that the run time would be cool and the fact that they can usually be had for under $5 a piece, something massive (harder to lose) and semi-durable (just keep dropping it, it's ok) enough for kids out camping.

I didn't know that the lanterns are negative polarity at the tip. I guess I learn somthing new everyday. Like i said, I just figured hey, cheap lantern + big battery = long run time :)

I wasn't aware the M*g drop in module was a bit fatter than the standard PRs as I've yet to get over the whole heat sinking *solution* to go out and buy one. Although I have been admiring them through the nice little displays at Home Depot and Wal-Mart.

Dan

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is a Sears Endurance 4AA light that is negative tip, you could use that in a lantern without any issues.

Nice displays - Wal*Mart and Home Depot? ... maybe the stores out your way are a little different :D

DNA said:
I didn't know that the lanterns are negative polarity at the tip. I guess I learn somthing new everyday. Like i said, I just figured hey, cheap lantern + big battery = long run time :)

Although I have been admiring them through the nice little displays at Home Depot and Wal-Mart.

Dan

mtnwalker

Newly Enlightened
Illum the Nation,
Just verifiying what you mentioned earlier..
I have a 3D and a 4D Maglite, the bulb mount area is different between the 2 of them.
Are you saying the "tower" that the bulb mounts in is aluminum? I know the collar is metal, and in my case at least the 4D "base" of that tower is aluminum...
The 3D and the 4D in my case the bulb sits at a different height in relation to the barrel of the flashlight, 4D focuses tighter which makes a difference "way out there". 3D is maybe better for indoors...but still throws "way out there" too, just a tad less than the 4D.

Illum

Flashaholic
mtnwalker said:
Illum the Nation,
Just verifiying what you mentioned earlier..
I have a 3D and a 4D Maglite, the bulb mount area is different between the 2 of them.
Are you saying the "tower" that the bulb mounts in is aluminum? I know the collar is metal, and in my case at least the 4D "base" of that tower is aluminum...
The 3D and the 4D in my case the bulb sits at a different height in relation to the barrel of the flashlight, 4D focuses tighter which makes a difference "way out there". 3D is maybe better for indoors...but still throws "way out there" too, just a tad less than the 4D.

oh yes, I meant the tower :ohgeez:
notice the mags tower and retaining ring are both metal, but the lantern battery lights sits the PR lamps on plastic which then are secured on to a plastic reflector, I fear that plastics will melt if used with an luxeon [as they get quite hot with prolonged use]

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wish there was more affordable PR drop-in Lux I/III's available.

I wouldn't mind putting one in this (although it's 4D instead of a 6volt type):
http://www.garritylites.com/page98.html

I still have a soft spot for the Lantern-styled flashlights. Maybe I'll look into that Sears light for the bulb.