Oddest use of your flashlights

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found a new use for a flashlight that perhaps may be unique , turtle carrier. This morning as I was driving I saw a huge, and I mean huge, snapper on the road near a river, trying to cross to the river. I was afraid it would be hit by a car so I got out and tried to pick it up, but it was not cooperarative. I took my 5 C Cell mag and teased it by the face until it clamped on. Then I used both hands and carried it hanging off the light to the river.

It took some shaking back and forth but eventually it let go and slipped into the water safely.

Any other odd uses you have come up with?

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Three years ago at Holloween I wanted to put out a Jack-O-Lantern and thought it might fare better here in the sub-tropics if it was lit with a cold light source instead of a candle.

I used an EL Hyper-Blaster with the bezel removed and ran it of NiMH cells. It worked very well.

BOO!

CLICK to be
FRIGHTENED!

Bright Scouter

Enlightened
Our Cub Scout pack always had a float in our Christmas parade. Well, a few years ago, all the lights ended up working, except the red bulb for Rudolph's nose. So with only a few minutes until the parade started, I took my Arc AAA with a red led and taped it up on Rudolph. It was a much narrower beam than he usually had, but it sure was visible.

Last edited:

underdust

Newly Enlightened
I often use my Arc AAA-P as a back light for my dogs' toenails, so I can see how far down I can safely clip them.

When I was much younger, I used to use an LED keychain light to shine through the back of certain "scratch-off" game cards, so I could see which areas should be scratched and which should be avoided. I'd cover my head with a blanket and press the LED right up against the back of the card, then I would just turn on the light and read what was written under the scratch-off material. It only worked with certain types of cards, but I "won" a lot of stuff that way.

Rando

Enlightened
The bar on the end of military cots can be very difficult to pull into place if the nylon has shrunk over time. A Maglite was the perfect size to use as a prybar on them.

That's the best I can come up with at the moment...

Cliffnopus

Enlightened
Well, I don't know how odd it is but...... Here at work, the bathrooms have motion sensor lightswitches that were installed without our knowledge. Anyway, while sitting on the throne, it's not unusual to have the lights go out and leave you in complete darkness. It'll stay that way until someone enters (the switch is positioned in an alcove, so waving your hands doesn't work). First time it happened was a real surprise.

So, it's beneficial to bring a small flashlight in with you. Unless you want to work by feel. :ohgeez:

Cliff

underdust

Newly Enlightened
Cliffnopus said:
Well, I don't know how odd it is but...... Here at work, the bathrooms have motion sensor lightswitches that were installed without our knowledge. Anyway, while sitting on the throne, it's not unusual to have the lights go out and leave you in complete darkness. It'll stay that way until someone enters (the switch is positioned in an alcove, so waving your hands doesn't work). First time it happened was a real surprise.

So, it's beneficial to bring a small flashlight in with you. Unless you want to work by feel. :ohgeez:

Cliff

You know, I think this may be the perfect answer whenever someone unenlightened asks us "why do you carry a flashlight?".

:crackup:

DUQ

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used my L2p last night at work to carry out a little tree frog I found inside a mechanical room. I tried to put it into my pant cargo pocket but it was a weeee bit sticky. So it perched on my light 'til I got it outside. I've also dropped my lights into sewage pits to inspect pump float switches :sick2:

Hatinthering

Newly Enlightened
Well here's one...

While sitting at my desk one evening, I noticed a California tree frog climbing up the outside of the nearby window. It was completely dark outside and the window was illuminated by a small desk lamp I had on. I watched the little dude for quite a while trying to figure out what he was up to. Well, he was up on the window trying to catch bugs that were attracted by my desk lamp. So, after turning out my desk lamp, I figured I'd help him out a bit, so I whipped out my trusty HDS B42XRGT and shined it right in front of him. Well the flashlight concentrated the bugs right in front of him and he had all the bugs he could eat. He really chowed down. Odd? yes, but one happy frog... :)

Rob

mudman cj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where corn and pigs are grown unimpeded by trees
underdust said:
I often use my Arc AAA-P as a back light for my dogs' toenails, so I can see how far down I can safely clip them.

I do the same thing with my Q3!

I have also used it to inspect ceramic parts at work, since we have found that a very bright light allows you to see defects within the thin-walled tubes when shined up into them. This has led to the design and purchase of a custom illumination table for part inspection that runs off of a 250W halogen light engine feeding a network of fiberoptics that run to each of the 63 tubes to be inspected on each part. This is a big improvement over the HID parking lot light I rigged for this purpose initially. Man that thing put out some heat! I tried using cardboard to frame the part so that the operator wouldn't be blinded, but it started smoking...aluminum foil fixed that but everytime you took a part off you were temporarily blinded. I have to admit that I enjoyed trying to make the brightest light I could though...but that was before CPF. I am sure I could do better now!

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I work in a hospital and one of the "special exam lights" blew a bulb. You guessed it, the spare was gone so they needed a flashlight quickly. My Mediterranean 2AA (LuxIII LED) was pressed into service and it worked fine. They gave it back to me and the light smelled like bleach since they cleaned it before and after.

The doc worked in the "womens health" section so I just didn't ask.

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lee1959 -
goodjob.gif

CFU

jnj1033

Newly Enlightened
Cliffnopus said:

Cliff

Been there. No motion sensor lights, but some guy thought he was the last one out, and I didn't feel like waiting for someone else to come in, so I hung my LT-3 Solitaire from the coat hook while I finished.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like to blast my mom with my L4, sort of pretending that I'm a fighter pilot or a space ship gunner, firing it like a repeating cannon (sound effects and all). Yep, ol' ma get's blasted nearly every night!