U2 drops to lowest setting after few minutes...*UPDATE*SUREFIRE RESPONDS.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
What the frack! I was just outside with my 4 day old U2 Serial#12884 and after about 5 minutes on high, it suddenly dropped down to the lowest settings. I figured it might be the batteries so I put a brand new set in. Went back outside, and after about 5 minutes it did it again! I felt the head and it was pretty warm, I turned the power ring all the way down and back up again, it went all they way up to the highest settings for about 30 seconds and dropped back down. Then I put it on level 5 - the same damn thing happened! WTF? Is there some thermal protection that kicks in or something? What good is the 2 highest settings if they only last 5 minutes? If it has always been this way and I just didn't know it then I guess I can live with it. But if not, this sucker is going back and I'm getting a McGizmo 27LT. Theres' no excuse for this.

I've had it on level 4 for a while now and it "seems" to be holding pretty good there, but I'll leave it on for a while longer and see what happens. GRRRRRR. I can't believe this...

*Update* I did some runtime test...

First I cleaned of any excess lubricant from the threads by the head to ensure it wasn't impeding heat transfer from the head to the body. Then I turned it on and started timing it. I made sure it was fully cooled down before conducting the next test. I set it down on the edge of the table resting on the pocket clip and power ring so there wouldn't be any heat transfer to the table. So far this is what I have. The times are of course when it dropped down to the low settings.

Level 6 - 2m22s
Level 5 - 7m40s
Level 4 - 33m16s
Level 3 - 7m22s - ??? Going to run that one again...
Level 3 test 2 - 1m20s HUH?

Looks like there is definetly something wrong witht the light...:mad:

I'm going to call Surefire this afternoon and speak to a Technician and see what they say and report back...

**UPDATE** Talked to supervisor at Surefire. Well they are going to send me a brand spanking new one, regular UPS. They are even going to set up a pick up with UPS for this one. Pretty nice of them. Awesome in fact. The supervisor ( I don't want to state their name w/o their permission ) even stated they will test the new one out to make sure it functions correctly. Cool.

I'll update again when I get the new one....

Last edited:

digitaleos

Enlightened
Re: GRRRR. Now what? U2 on high drops to lowest setting after a few minutes...

KDOG3,

Sorry to hear about your U2, I actually just had the exact same thing happen to mine about 1 week ago, mine acted just the way yours is. I ended up shipping mine back to Surefire for repair. They told me the average repair time for the U2 is approx. 4 weeks. They have not told me what the exact problem is though, before I sent it back I checked the tailcap and it was fine. I posted on here when mine started acting up and I did find out there was at least one other case involving the same issue. I recommend you call surefire and tell them your situation so they can give you a RMA # to ship it back to them to fix. By the way my serial# is 10270.

Chris

Last edited:

daveman

Enlightened

Mmm... I feel better about my Huntlight DOA already. :lolsign:

X Racer

Enlightened

I am sorry to hear about this, other people have posted threads on this exact same issue. I was going to ask you for an update on your U2, but I have seen all the new threads you've posted about it.

The 27LT is the bomb... No wall of light like the U2, but plenty bright, plenty throw, 2 useable levels of light, and built like a TANK...

Best of luck KDOG...

Loomy

Enlightened

KDOG3 said:
What the frack! I was just outside with my 4 day old U2 Serial#12884 and after about 5 minutes on high, it suddenly dropped down to the lowest settings.

Nope, that isn't normal unless the ambient air temperature is like 170 degrees. :p Call it a dud, send an annoyed email to SF asking to be hooked up with a new one right away, or return it if you don't want a new one!

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast

I bought it from TacticalSupply.com, do you think they will take it back, or will they tell me I have to go thru Surefire?

dizzy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Dang it KDOG, I thought you had gotten a good one too. I just can't understand how these bad U2's keep getting out the door. Being an ex QA technician, I would have called for more stringent sample testing on these things long ago to get this crap under control. This is really not acceptable. I think I need to get a job with Surefire and take the bull by the horns.

I really love the used U2 I got, as it is perfect in my eyes. I know alot of people love theirs too, but I feel bad that so many are still getting defective ones. There should be 100% testing being done on the U2's, until the sample testing improves to an acceptable level. I know, who am I to say what goes on at Surefire. I just wish it bothered Surefire as much as it does me.

I hope they send you a new one that works, KDOG, and that it doesn't take 4 weeks to get it. Good luck to you.:)

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast

KDOG3

Man, I would be frustrated. I can't wait to get new lights and it is frustrating when they don't work. The U2 has had a lot of bad press and it probably deserves much of it but the majority of them seem to get it right and in my opinion, it is the one of the best if not the best light on the market.

My first U2 had a donut hole that I could not stand and it was tinted green at the lower levels. I decided to send it back and it took forever to get it back. I have to tell you though that when it came back, it was tremendous. I hope that the merchant that you purchased it from takes it back for you.

I also recently had a HDS that had a problem and had to send it back but when I got the new one, it was perfect. The service was very fast also.

Just this week, I had a problem with a 27LT that I just received. This light is on its way back right now and I have no doubt that it will be fixed. It really impressed me for the time that I had it. I agree with X Racer that it is the... I mean da bomb!

The reason for the previous stories is to show that this stuff can happen to any companies light so please give it a chance as I think you will be very happy with it when you get it back. Just ask them to remove the thermal protection circuit this time:ohgeez:

-Goatee

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast

KDOG3 said:
I bought it from TacticalSupply.com, do you think they will take it back, or will they tell me I have to go thru Surefire?
Their web site only says returns "may be granted within 3 days of receipt of product": http://www.tacticalsupply.com/cart/shipping.php

IMO that's very short. You could contact Tactical Supply and see if they'll extend this.

There are other mail order companies such as www.brightguy.com with much better written return policies. Of course the Surefire warranty covers you, independent of the seller.

It's easier for the seller to say "go through Surefire". That doesn't mean you must do so, especially if they shipped you defective merchandise.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well I dont' think Tactical Supply knowingly sold me "defective merchandice"! I just want to know what my options are...

I'm gonna go to bed now and sleep on all this. At least my L1 works....

X Racer

Enlightened
Re: U2 on high drops to lowest setting after a few minutes...**UPDATE** Runtime test!

Steven at tacticalsupply is a great guy and I am sure he will be happy to help, give him a call...

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: U2 on high drops to lowest setting after a few minutes...**UPDATE** Runtime test!

Yes he is. However, this is clearly a manufacturer defect, and hes' under no obligation to take it back. I'll see what the Surefire rep has to say before I trouble him over it...

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,

Just an FYI - one of my old U2's wasn't quite as bad as yours, but it lasted about 17 minutes before dropping to level 1.

Here's my thread on it - there's a few runtime graphs throughout. Using Titanium batteries, and SF batteries.

Hope it helps to know you're not alone! :candle:

john

Loomy

Enlightened

KDOG3 said:
Yes he is. However, this is clearly a manufacturer defect, and hes' under no obligation to take it back. I'll see what the Surefire rep has to say before I trouble him over it...

Surefire will take it back no matter what. That's not even a variable here. The only decision you have to make is whether you want to return the light to the store for a refund (if possible), or return it to the store for a quick replacement (if possible).

Luna

Enlightened
fnmag said:
This speaks volumes for the Surefire warranty.

I got my L2 back the other day after having a no light condition. It came back with a new head and tailswitch. Can't beat that.

The tint is nice and ***very bright***, but it has a hole.

Surefire warranty is great.