"That's not a bright light, *THIS* is a bright light..."

MacTech

Enlightened
Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Earth, USA, New England
I went to get my vision checked tonight, my optician grabbed her little penlight thingy that she uses to check eye tracking and said "now follow this bright light with your eyes" as she illuminates a little, DIM penlight, probably putting out about 10 lumens or so....

so, in my best Crocodile Dundee voice i say "that's not a bright light, let me show you a *BRIGHT* light"

after she performed the tracking test, i took my Fenix P1 out of my pocket, handed it to her and warned her to *not* look into the light when turning it on....

she did anyway, but only at an angle, most of the light was angled away from her face...

"WHOA!, what *IS* this thing, a Halogen?"
nope, just an LED, a 3 watt Luxeon
"this is really nice!"

i told her where to get one (Fenix-Store or Lighthound), she shone it around a bit, thoroughly impressed, then handed it back

i've found the P1 is an exellent light for impressing the Unenlightened, it looks so innocent and unassuming (especially in HA Natural), "Normies" just don't expect a light that small and light to pour out that much light....

that's why it's such a great demo light, to the Unenlightened, a small, lightweight light that's smaller than the venerable Mini Mag Lite is typically rather dim and anemic

she was literally startled by the brightness, i saw her physically jump back on her stool a little....

it was a great feeling, blowing the minds of the Unenlightened...

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
So ... I'm not sure that I get it. How is this light going to be useful for this person? Is it going to be useful in her examinations?

carrot

Flashaholic
:shakehead

Look at the lunatics I hang out with!

Aw, heck, I'd probably have done the same. Maybe I should carry the P1 again. It *is* an impressive little light.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find the River Rock 2 AAA light a bit too bright for checking pupils or an FST, I can only imagine how useful the P1 might be in that situation. :)

carrot said:
:shakehead

Look at the lunatics I hang out with!

Aw, heck, I'd probably have done the same. Maybe I should carry the P1 again. It *is* an impressive little light.

carrot

Flashaholic
Well, I always thought my optician was a little sadistic... putting the stinging eye-drops to dilate my pupils and then shining a bright blue light in my eyes...

MacTech

Enlightened
Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Earth, USA, New England
Brighteyez said:
So ... I'm not sure that I get it. How is this light going to be useful for this person? Is it going to be useful in her examinations?
it's not going to be useful for exams, i was playing off her comment that her penlight was "bright", i even joked with her that the P1 would be useless as an exam light, i just thought that she, as a technically minded person, would appreciate the sheer volume and purity of light produced by such a *tiny* (tiny to the Unenlightened, that is) flashlight

she did

it's a geeky thing, i've been carrying the P1 for a few months now and it *still* brings a smile to my face when i light it up, i'm still geeking out over it, and wanted to share it with someone else that appreciates technology....

nobody at work understands, and nobody at home understands either, to them, flashlights are just....flashlights

although, truth be told, the co-worker i sold my Fenix L1 to *is* starting to understand the obsession, and is beginning to be obsessed with quality lights....

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm glad you had a chance to show her what was in your pocket. I bet she was wondering.

Next time try something with a couple C batteries.

victory

Enlightened
Brighteyez said:

To date i've checked pupils in the back of my ambulance with a surefire g2, a surefire 9P and a rechargable streamlight stinger. Sometime next week i hope to use my brand new gladius.

Before you all think i'm a total prick, it's all in the technique. Use the corona of the beam, not the center.

amanichen

Enlightened
MacTech said:
"now follow this bright light with your eyes" as she illuminates a little, DIM penlight, probably putting out about 10 lumens or so....
Still brighter than many keychain lights *cough* arc *cough*

yekim

Enlightened
I was playing with a new light and my wife came in the room and remarked "that's pretty bright."....I smiled and grinned..."That's on Low".

Concept

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its hard to resist when you have the insider knowledge and you have something like a P1 or Jil or Raw etc just sitting your pocket, and they are shining around there old eveready or duracell 2 AA job with dodgey beam and large form factor.

You just have to enlighten them.

paulr

Flashaholic
Check pupils with a powerful incan like a surefire? Ouch! That sounds dangerous, especially because of the amount of infrared in the beam heating up the insides of the eye. Is it ok??!

GrooveRite

Enlightened
Just this past Sunday, I went with my gf to her Christian church and they were performing a show and it was quite dark when we got in. I see this dim yellow incan shining my way (trying to show us where we can sit) so I pull out my trusty lil Fenix P1 and shine it back. I think everyone in the church looked my way because I lit up that whole side of the church. When we finally take our seats, my gf whispers in my ear, "you just had to didnt you!!". I looked back at her and smiled :)!
Btw, that guy with the Rayovac incan pulled me aside after the service and said what kind of light it was that I had. I showed it to him and he could not believe such a small thing could produce so much light. I guess you could say I REALLY showed him the LIGHT :lolsign:.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was in Northern Iraq during the spring of 2003 and sitting in the darkness was something we did. My EDC at the time was a BB500 Minimag (M or N bin LuxI) with the NX-05 optic and Kroll tailswitch. One of the doc's decides he was going to "wow" me with his five 5mm LED headlamp and fires it up in my face. Asked me how I liked FIVE LEDs... so I had to do it. Told him I have another Mag with ONE LED that would beat that.

Went back to my tent and found my 5D Mag with a Cyan LuxeonV and 30mm Elektrolumens optic. Waiting about 20 minutes and found the doc in the weak starlight. Yelled out "Hey Doc"! and fired that Cyan LuxV up...from about 3 feet from his face...with him looking at that 5 watt Cyan cranked at full. He screamed and fell over talking about being blind and the world was "blue-green".

Always wondered what 4 uber-high binned Cyan LuxeonV's would do through McR reflectors when strobbed. :D Yeah, there is nothing like a little Cyan LuxV love to dark adapted eyes.