LED tactical light

arty

Enlightened
Is there a good 2 cell (cr123) that will put out as effective a light as the Surefire 6P? The 6P works wonders in shutting up this obnoxious dog that I walk past when walking my small pooch. The dog tends to bark in a really loud and aversive manner, and pushes his face between the slots of a fence.

He shuts up fast when I direct my Surefire 6P towards him. My dog was so terrified that he doesn't want to walk in that direction - until we get beyond the hell hound.

I like dogs, but would like something available to deal with the occasional dog off the leash. I walk my dog at night and have run across dogs that their owners just let out of the house.

Believe me, you would not like it if you had to pick up a terrified dog to save him from a monster.

I bet that dog owners know what I am talking about.

The 6P is likely to run batteries down pretty fast, and my L1 doesn't have the effectiveness of the 6P.

Any recommendations? What about the Streamlight tasklight LED2. It appears to have pretty good throw, according to the Flashlight Reviews web site.

victory

Enlightened
I wouldn't consider the tasklight a "tactical light" due to it's switch position. A tailcap switch is much more conducive to tactical usage. However, that being said i don't think you're looking for a light for true tactical use since your just using your light to scare off a pesky dog, not to raid the meth lab in it's owner's basement. So let's just assume by "tactical light" you mean small and bright

The task light does put out some impressive numbers, is priced to sell and has a lower brightness setting that will conserve batteries. I doubt you want to bump it $130, the strobe feature on the gladius would definately send dogs running and it has infinately adjustable brightness. Neither have the throw of the 6P but they are both really insense and have best of class throw for LED's.

Personally i think the tasklight would suit you.

lukus

Enlightened
I like the Surefire L2 for that situation. It has the lower level for the general walking the dog light, while pushing harder on the button gives you 100 lumens. It is a wall of light instead of throw, but you're not trying to light up something 100 yds away.

To my eyes, my L2 and 6P have almost the same throw for lighting up something at a distance when compared together. The 6P looks like more throw when by itself because the beam is much more narrow. I would definitely consider the L2 to be tactical for 40yds and under. It also has one of the smoothest, most flawless beams you'll find.

HonorKnight

Newly Enlightened
I may not know where I am, but I'm not lost.
Depends on what you want. I take it that other surefire lights are too expensive? I like the L2 myself. For economy, there is the Brinkman 3W LED. Brighter than the L1, not quite as bright as the 6P (oh, in the neighborhood of 55 lumens. Just gussing I'm afraid). Can use rechargeable batteries. Only lasts about an hour, rechargeable makes up for that. Tactical switch. $30 at Target. Or you can get a 4D MagLED (roughly 60-65 lumens and lasts around 40 hours to 50%). About $30 at Home Depot. That ought to deal with stray dogs off the leash. One way or the other.

Last edited:

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you don't mind spending the money, I would also suggest the L2. You will find this to be a very useful light in general. The low beam is ideal in most situations and will not drain the batteries quickly, but the high beam is always there for when the Hound of the Baskervilles comes.

Boomerang

Newly Enlightened
arty said:
Is there a good 2 cell (cr123) that will put out as effective a light as the Surefire 6P? The 6P works wonders in shutting up this obnoxious dog that I walk past when walking my small pooch. The dog tends to bark in a really loud and aversive manner, and pushes his face between the slots of a fence.

Can't comment on the surefire, but if you wanna screw with a dog at night, I'd recommend the LED Logic's Striker VG 2x123A 3w Luxeon. $120 USD.

It's strobe mode is intense and it'll take less than a two seconds to easily destroy his nightvision completely.

The Striker also has variable brightness so you can walk in a light that suits your eyesight in the dark. All functions controlled by the clickie button on the tube.

Stellar throw and brightness with a tradeoff short battery life on full intensity.

There are other lights that have these features, so due diligence at Flashlight Reviews and elsewhere is advised.

All the best,

Andy

arty

Enlightened
Sounds like a number of good suggestions. It is just amazing how much money you can spend on lights!
Believe, me - I am caching on quickly to the bills.

Mr. Bombastic

Newly Enlightened
I picked up an economical LED tactical light in Maplins Electronic Store that you might want to check out.

It's a Nuwai ALX-332L. www.flashlightreviews.com have a review in their 3watt and 5watt LED section. It puts out up to 80 lumens and cost me £19.99 ($37). It's virtually as bright as my E2e and puts out a brighter spill (though over a more narrow area).

You can attach a MiniMaglite clip for bezel down pocket carry too.

Blazer

Enlightened
Pelican M6 LED is also an option. they even have a 3W version for extra punch.

The Gladius or Striker VG would also be good with the strobe function, but I've never tried using it on a dog. A new reason to walk my dog tonight...hit the neighbourhood dogs with the gladius strobe :grin2:

lukus

Enlightened
Not really positive, but I don't think dogs, cats, and other animals with good night vision are really blinded by light the way we are. They're blinded as long as the light is on them but recover so quickly it has no lasting effect. You can shine a light on a cat and it will look straight at the light for a minute. Then it will turn and go back to looking at some barely visible creature it's about to pounce on with no apparent bother. I think the lights more confuse them about what the source of the lumens could be.

Kinda off topic, but I have a Rhodesion Ridgeback named Bella. About 180lbs of solid muscle and she's a bit afraid of the dark. When we pull up at night in the car she always runs out into the headlights like she's being saved. Then she uses the opportunity of the light to look for rabbits and finally to use the bathroom quickly before we turn the lights off. Just a big baby!